The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 4, 2012, 08:20 PM   #1
gmarr

.338 Federal...how good?

Looking at getting a dedicated hog gun. Also, I like some niche calibers not just the accepted popular choices. Hence the interest in the .338 Federal. So, how good is it really? Accuracy and recoil are important as I'll probably be using a Ruger Hawkeye. Any help?
Old December 4, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Good but the Ruger is going to kick the snot out of you, could I suggest a Win 70 instead, nicer to shoot and in my experience superior accuracy. I like the .338 Fed for everything I like the .308 for but it packs more wallop.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 4, 2012, 09:13 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I've had a .338 Fed barrel from a Hawkeye , that I've been looking for a donor 760 Rem. to put it on . I'm going to trim it down to 20" and maybe turn it down some to reduce weight . You can get these guns down to 6.5# and they're real handy in the thick stuff . I've got one in .358 Win. that I built about ten years ago , I'll never part with it . I'd really like to try the .338 with 210 Gr. bullets . Should really bitch slap a hog I think , and should work all the way up to and including Elk ! When I'm hunting something that can bite me I like to put that second shot into them before they can take a step , and there's nothing faster than a pump on followups !
Old December 5, 2012, 08:20 AM   #4
jmr40

Winchester does not offer the 338 Federal. Nor do many others. If you want something a little different, and don't mind the fact that ammo is not as easily available then it is not a bad round.

But it won't kill anything a 308 won't kill. And you don't have to worry about the 308 being phased out in a couple of years. 308 and 30-06 ammo is everywhere with a wide selection of loadings suitable for everything in North America from prairie dogs to grizzly. The 308 shoots the same bullet weights to almost the same speeds as the 338 Federal with handloads. The 30-06 shoots the same bullet weights faster, and the extra .03" bullet diameter is about the same as your fingernail. I don't see that making any difference.

It comes down to this. Do you want something a little different, or do you want to be practical? Nothing wrong with either approach and I'm sure the 338 Fed. kills stuff just fine.
Old December 5, 2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Winchester 70 Scout w/ Variable Power Scout & Conventional scope in .338 Federal
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--