The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 27, 2014, 02:39 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Shipping modern firearms to FFL

I have a C&R license which gives me access to several distributors modern firearms pricing. I can't get those shipped to me though. I have tried a few times to work a deal with local FFLs that is reasonable on modern purchases. None ever seemed at all interested until last week. I ran a transfer through a new FFL and he seemed pretty nice, so I asked him about it. He said he would be glad to do it and there were two options. First I could call, e-mail, or go into the shop and tell them what I wanted. He would order it and sell it to me for $30 over his actual cost. Reasonable IMO.
Second, I could order it from them(paying with my CC) and have it shipped to him and he would run it like a normal transfer for $10. He said he has done several transfers like this and it is no problem whatsoever.
Has anyone done this with SOG before? Any other distributors? I was sure they would not do that for some reason, but he assured me they would.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 27, 2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo.
Old April 27, 2014, 05:33 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
johnwilliamson062
Has anyone done this with SOG before?
SOG (Southern Ohio Gun) is not a distributor. They are a dealer, just like any other gun store. While they may offer discounts to dealers, their pricing isn't anywhere close to real distributors.

Quote:
Any other distributors?
Real wholesale distributors (Bill Hicks, RSR, Davidsons, Sport South, Lipseys, etc) require an 01 or 07FFL to open an account and view pricing.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 27, 2014, 06:31 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Ahhh, I see. This is also in the wrong area. Not sure how that happened. Thnks for the help though.
Old April 27, 2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

$10 for a transfer is a bargain. The normal going rate for transfers around here is $50.
Old April 28, 2014, 03:22 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

It's pretty low for around here also. Guy has a small shop with very little inventory and does mostly transfers. Only open nights.
Five years ago $15-20 was the norm here. Now $25-30 and the shops complain about how they are losing money. This guy doesn't seem to be having a problem.
Old April 30, 2014, 11:11 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Actually, I,m a little confused about this. Now, I know SOG isn't Lipseys. They don't sell to the general public though. You must have an FFL of some sort to access their pricing. Their prices are often. Significantly lower than Buds. They must be buying direct from manufacturers to get those prices. Since they provide pricing and stock status to FFLs they must be selling mostly to shops. I can't believe C&R people are ordering enough modern guns shipped to 01s that stocking them makes sense.