The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2010, 07:04 AM   #1
David G. Robinson

Which sabot is best the H&R 12 ga. slughunter

I have an H&R ultra slughunter in 12 ga. I started out using Federal sabots and the gun would not group at all, even at 50 yards. H&R told me to try Remington sabots and the gun shoots better. I've been told that Hornady will work even better. Before I break the bank trying to get the most out of this shotgun I wanted to see if anybody else has had similar problems, and which sabot they wound up using to solve the problem.
Old December 29, 2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Every shotgun I've tried slugs in has had its own opinion on what to feed it. My two 870s now "like" KOs, but you need a sabot load for that rifled barrel.

Ed Clapper recently did an article in Shotgun Sports magazine about the Remington 870 Super Slugger, which has a rifled barrel. Slug tests showed 50 yards groups running from less than 2" to about 12". All that changed were the loads.

Buy a few 5 packs of various sabot slugs, bench shoot for group and see what works best. Then, buy lots of that.

HTH.....