The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 25, 2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Sportdog

Ruger M77 MKII Likes and Dislikes

Any of you Firing Line cyber warriors have had any experience with these rifles? It is my understanding that the M77 Hawkeye has taken the place of the M77 MKII. Is that correct? Any comments both good and bad about either of these rifles are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
Old March 25, 2008, 12:04 PM   #2
SD_Chop

not sure about whats replacing what. I do have a M77 MKII in 7mm rem mag. I use mine for deer hunting. The M77 is not gonna be your competition target rifle but i have no complaints for a deer rifle. Probably not the most accurate rifle on the market, but everything i have seen is you pull the trigger it works, run the action it cycles. I have a synthetic/stainless and the finish is nice. For what you pay for they make good hunting rifles
Old March 25, 2008, 12:36 PM   #3
model70fan

I have 3 M77 MKII VTs and have never understood the accuracy issues some people claim (they are VTs though so that may make a difference, I don't know), I know there are some "bad" rifles out there but I shoot sub MOA with all 3 of them (.220 swift, 22-250, and .223) the only thing I have done to any of them is pretty standard work. I put new triggers in 2 of them and quality optics on all 3, and all three of them will consistently pop prairie dogs at 4-500+ yrds. I dont have any experience with the bigger calibers in the MKII so I don't know about that, but IMHO they are good rifles. And I believe the Hawkeye is replacing the MKII from what I have heard.

Last edited by model70fan; March 25, 2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old March 25, 2008, 02:15 PM   #4
spruilldog

I have a M77 in 30.06

Standard wood stock. It shoots OK. Can't get consistent groups out of mine less than 1.5 inches. About 1.75 to 2.25 is about average. Really haven't been very happy with the accuracy but I have a lot of dead deer that tell me it's close enough within 200 yds. I replaced the trigger with a timney because the stock trigger was crap. Most of the accurate ruger stories I hear start with a new trigger and some sort of bedding job. If I didn't like the fit of the gun so much I would get rid of mine. I plan on getting a bedding job done or getting the barrel floated whenever I can stop spending money on other toys long enough to do it. The stock on mine is firmly against the barrel on one side but not the other for a length of about 4-5 cm out to the end of the stock. Wish I knew more about what to look for when I bought it. I recently bought a tikka t3 lite stainless for 100$ more than I paid for the ruger. First group of three I thought I had a lemon because I could only find 1 bullet hole. I was really getting worried until I realized that the one bullet hole was kind of cloverleaf shaped. Never had a group over an inch with it. Site in took 10 rounds instead of probably fifty with the ruger, not to mention trying five or six brands of ammo trying to get something it liked. Unless you like to tinker, do yourself a favor and get something that shoots out of the box. Savage, tikka, browning, etc.
Old March 25, 2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Loaded4yote

Hawkeye is replacing the M77 Mark II. The Ruger website shows the M77 Mark II still availible in the Ultra lite format.

Have the M77 Mark II in .22-250, .270 and the .204 Ruger. The .204 is the Ultra Lite. I really enjoy all my Ruger rifles. The only thing I personally would change on the .22-250 and the .270 would be the triggers.

On the .204, I would have gone with a different rifle. I don't care for the Ultra lite. Not very accurate and heats up rapidly. I'm considering having the gun rebarreled and the trigger replaced.

All in all nice rifles.
Old March 26, 2008, 09:03 AM   #6
john in jax

I've got a M77 MkII VLE in .308 - - there is nothing to dis-like about it. The triggers been worked on, and it shoots sub-MOA if I do my part.
Old March 26, 2008, 10:17 AM   #7
bobn

in jan i purchased a hawkeye in 257 roberts. i wanted one since reading jack o. writing in the sixties!
....anyway i loved the new stock and the new trigger is decent. unfortunately it shot worse than most mini 14s i have owned. bobn
Old March 26, 2008, 10:21 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Mine in .223, light sporter, has been 1/2 MOA for three shots, from the git-go. It became easier after I installed a Timney trigger. Great little rifle for prairie dogs to 300 yards...