The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: What's your favorite bipod?
Harris 19 82.61%
B-Square 0 0%
Versa Pod 2 8.70%
Other 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 30, 2002, 12:49 PM   #1
sofaking

What Bipod to buy?

Ok, I finally got may Savage 10FP 308 set up and starting to shoot pretty damn good from sandbags. It's time to get a bipod. This would be used for prone and probably sitting positions only. I'd like to get one bipod that will do both, but if I have to buy two, so be it.

I've been planning on buying a Harris, but my only reason for this is: that's what "everyone" has. WHY? Are Harris bipods the best for your dollar?
I got a B-Square catalog yesterday, and I think their bipods look pretty good too. Some even come with leg extentions to get you up to 22". The price looks right in line with Harris. Does anyone have any experience with these?
What about Versa-Pod? Aren't these copies of the Parker-Hale design? Are they good/poor?

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old January 30, 2002, 05:05 PM   #2
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Don't know about Versa-Pod being a PH rip off. I've got a PH that came with my rifle, great pod. Never looked for anything else nor compared the VP to the PH.

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old February 2, 2002, 06:31 PM   #3
sofaking

Aw cmon guys, I've got ten vote's for harris, but nobody has the time to tell me why I should go with Harris??
Old February 2, 2002, 07:44 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Except on LMGs, don't like bipod of any kind.

Whatcha gonna shoot with it ?

Sam
Old February 2, 2002, 11:54 PM   #5
hksigwalther

I have a PH, a couple Versa-Pods (my vote pick), three B-Squares (sold one), and a cheap Chinese made simple bi-pod (with locking legs on my SKS). Also have a bi-pods on my beater FAL and HK91 but they are not aftermarket. The built in bi-pod on the Butler Creek stock for the 10/22 is flimsy.

The Versa-Pod is a copy of the Parker-Hale. The legs and adaptors will interchange (at least mine do). The difference is the material that they are constructed with, the weight (PH heavier), and cost (PH$300+ vs VP~$60). Of course the PH is better in quality but you pay for it. The VP has worked fine. IIRC, there have been reports of earlier versions not standing up heavy use but they have been improved upon since then. (Earlier models meaning they don't say 'VERSA POD' in the side.) Despite being a bit lighter than the PH, the VP is still a bit heavier than the others on the poll.

The B-Sqaures have one drawback that I don't like which is that the legs don't lock into place. The pin that holds the legs to the base also have a tendency to walk out.

The Chinese bi-pod (not to be confused with the Chinese made Versa-Pods) is actually pretty good in that it takes up less space and the legs lock into place. Unfotunately, it is attached to the barrel of my SKS instead of the stock. An adaptor could be made to mount on the stock but why waste the time and effort on a cheap blaster rifle and a cheap $30 pod?

I've never really liked the exposed springs and bolt and just overall cluttered look of the Harris and have never bought one. IIRC, their legs don't lock into place either although they are held in place with more spring force than the B-Square.

There was one bi-pod I have that is very light, uses less space, and locks legs into place called the Featherweight by Cherokee but they are no longer being made. The legs are a fixed length though.
Old February 4, 2002, 05:20 PM   #6
sofaking

Sam,

I'll mostly be shooting paper or 3" metal plates at 2-300 yards. Sitting or prone. Somewhere down the line i may try P-doggin. Lost my will to hunt a long time ago, but who knows it may come back.
Old February 5, 2002, 12:28 AM   #7
C.R.Sam

Guess with a fixed target, no traverse required, and right length legs it would be an asset.

I still do a little three and four position shooting and have yet to find a bipod that helped......me.

Sam