The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 23, 2009, 09:41 PM   #1
diablo508

Question about my AK parts

hey getting ready to change out my stock, handle, forend..on an old soviet AK

this is what I ordered:

http://thesportsoutdoorstore.com/ccp...w/VAL1842.html

I was looking at the instructions and it showed the weapon in a vise to change out the top forend peice...anyone know how hard this is going to be to change it out without a vise??....haven't spent a lot of time screwing around with the AK and am just now getting into it..thanks for the help!
Old January 23, 2009, 10:16 PM   #2
rshanneck2002

vice makes it easier but i have done it with no vise., my trick is using a small strap wrench, that makes it much easier and dont rush it, just apply good even pressure. whats on it now? wood furniture or plastic? i have found wood furniture is alittle less troublesome than plastic furniture., but the strap works real good on both.
Old January 23, 2009, 10:26 PM   #3
diablo508

has old wooden parts (probably the original ones...like 50+ years old!).. thanks for the heads up and advice! will come in handy, hope to have the new parts on monday/tuesday and switch them out!
Old January 23, 2009, 10:42 PM   #4
rshanneck2002

i will tell you whats a pita to change out sometimes is the rear standard sight, it takes alot od practice but when you catch on it still seems simple then. i find the chinese ak sights are the hardest. the strap wrench works good and if need be use alittle bigger one. when you first start applying the pressure it will seem like it wont budge but it will then give just keep up a steady pressure,dont over do it to fast. with this weapons age it make take alittle longer and if it is stubborn shot a little light weight oil along the front track and let it sit for awhile, the oil can be wiped off just as soon as you get your new stock on. expect the plastic one to go on alittle harder as it creates more friction in the tracks for some reason. thats my exsperience at least and i have changed out several, im more pleased with plastic on aks than wood. just a personel preference of mine.
Old January 23, 2009, 10:51 PM   #5
diablo508

allright...thanks again, expect pms from me if I run into any problems!