The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old August 3, 2014, 07:20 PM   #1
picker

TEXAS.............

I have heard the NRA just won another battle in Texas, reducing the hours/cost and information to get a CHL.
I wonder how the Feds are going to like the additional work load now that they can not run Social sercurity cards ?
Best/joe

Last edited by picker; August 3, 2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old August 3, 2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Huh?

What do the Feds and Social Security cards have to do with a state-issued license to carry a handgun?
Old August 4, 2014, 12:28 AM   #3
tyme
Staff

I think this is in reference to the new law that SS # is no longer required for CHL apps? Not particularly recent, but effective January this year.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old August 4, 2014, 12:49 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I have heard the NRA just won another battle in Texas...
Nothing against the NRA, but in TX, it's usually the TSRA making things happen.
Old August 4, 2014, 12:51 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I wonder how the Feds are going to like the additional work load now that they can not run Social sercurity cards ?
The federal government doesn't really enter into the equation. The license is issued by the state.
Old August 4, 2014, 08:51 AM   #6
NJgunowner

I don't know if I'd call this a win. The main reason they use the SS# is to help prevent your ID from getting mixed up with someone else's. Tons of people get denied during a nics check because someone with the same name has a felony. Then they have to go through an annoying process to get approved. People who provide their SS# are a lot less likely to have this problem. I guess it's nice you have a choice now, just don't see the big deal. You can't even get a credit card these days without giving your SS# :P .
Old August 4, 2014, 09:13 AM   #7
CowTowner

Quote:
just don't see the big deal. You can't even get a credit card these days without giving your SS# :P
True. But the Privacy Act of 1974 makes it almost illegal for credit companies, or anyone for that matter, to use your SSAN for identification purposes without your written consent. I dealt with this while serving in the U.S. Army. They stopped issuing Service Numbers and started using our SSAN. Commanders were not happy when a soldier could not have his/her living area identified by even the last four digits of the SSAN added to rank and surname without a consent form being filled out and on file. (DA Form 7433)
5 U.S.C. 552a Section 3 (b) Conditions of Disclosure.

**And yes, I used SSAN and not the more common SSN or SS# on purpose. My SSAN card still states "Not to be used as a form of identification".
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy

Last edited by CowTowner; August 4, 2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old August 7, 2014, 11:26 PM   #8
picker

Anyone that thinks the BATF has nothing to do with a Texas CHL has never applied for a CHL in Texas.
Best/joe
Old August 7, 2014, 11:58 PM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker
Anyone that thinks the BATF has nothing to do with a Texas CHL has never applied for a CHL in Texas.
You need to explain yourself and provide evidence to support your assertion.

Exactly what does ATF have to do with a Texas CHL?
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old August 8, 2014, 08:27 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, I have had a CHL for 15 years or so and no involvement with the BATF. My wife has one. My mom has one. Most of my friends have one. No BATF involvement there either.

What are you talking about, picker?
Old August 9, 2014, 10:53 AM   #11
picker

When you apply for a CHL and you submit your paper work including a finger print card to Austin.
Austin will submit your request for a CHL to the BATF You are run through the BATF data base, then that information and your Texas criminal record if any is reviewed and your request for a CHL is either granted or denied. Did you folks really believe Texas don't run you through the FBI data base ?
Best/j

If I am wrong, I will be happy to be educated.

Last edited by picker; August 9, 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:14 AM   #12
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
When you apply for a CHL and you submit your paper work including a finger print card to Austin.
Austin will submit your request for a CHL to the BATF You are run through the BATF data base, then that information and your Texas criminal record if any is reviewed and your request for a CHL is either granted or denied....
Wrong. The ATF has nothing to do with NICS. NICS is run by the FBI.

Quote:
...Did you folks really believe Texas don't run you through the FBI data base ?
But that has nothing to do with the ATF. The ATF and FBI are two, separate federal agencies. ATF has nothing to do with running background checks on people who buy guns or who apply for a CHL.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old August 9, 2014, 11:24 AM   #13
picker

You are nit pickin Frank Feds are Feds they work close enough together to be one and you know it just a different department which can share work loads if the need arises.
End of discussion, Texas runs you through the Federal data Base before you get a CHL.
best/joe

PS Do you think the BATF has there own private Data Base ?
Old August 9, 2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
You are nit pickin Frank ...
Understand clearly please that when discussing legal or governmental issues we expect accuracy and precision. Sloppiness is neither appropriate nor acceptable. Nor is it proper to accuse someone of "nit-picking" to evade the fact that one didn't know something.

Quote:
....Feds are Feds they work close enough together to be one and you know it just a different department which can share work loads if the need arises...
And you know this how? And while federal agencies may work together on matters in which their jurisdictions overlap, e. g., the FBI and ATF will coordinate investigation of interstate crimes involving firearms or explosives, the ATF isn't going to start answering the FBI's phones when NICS gets too busy.

Quote:
...Do you think the BATF has there own private Data Base ?
Of course it does -- for matters relating to the areas of its responsibilities, such as FFL licenses.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:48 AM   #15
Theohazard

Quote:
You are nit pickin Frank Feds are Feds they work close enough together to be one and you know it just a different department which can share work loads if the need arises.
End of discussion, Texas runs you through the Federal data Base before you get a CHL.
Seems like there's some cognitive dissonance going on between this post and your signature.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:53 AM   #16
picker

You are quite the word smith but way off base and are either ignorant to the full responsibilities of the BATF or Grand standing.
The BATF do a lot more than run FFL checks, I was in fact in touch with them when I was denied a Tx CHL.
I know exactly what they do and did not do in my case and without getting into a long drawn out story with someone that is ill informed , I will give you some advice if you ever request a TX CHL............GIVE THEM YOUR SS#, Their so called state of the art digital finger print system is not perfect.
best/joe
Old August 9, 2014, 12:04 PM   #17
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
You are quite the word smith but way off base and are either ignorant to the full responsibilities of the BATF or Grand standing.
The BATF do a lot more than run FFL checks,...
I'm quite aware of the full range of responsibilities of the ATF. My reference to FFLs:
Quote:
...such as FFL licenses.
was by way of an example of something the ATF might have its own data base for. The words "such as" show my reference was illustrative and not exhaustive.

In any case, the fact remains that NICS is run by the FBI and not by the ATF.

Quote:
...Their so called state of the art digital finger print system is not perfect.
Perhaps not, but I didn't have any trouble when I applied for my Oregon CHL or renewed my Nevada CHL.
Old August 9, 2014, 12:08 PM   #18
picker

Theohazard, do you have something to add to this Topic besides cheerleading ?
Best/joe
Old August 9, 2014, 12:22 PM   #19
Theohazard

Quote:
Theohazard, do you have something to add to this Topic besides cheerleading ?
Nope, I'm just amused that you would put that as your sig and then ignore it completely. You might want to change it.

Well, now that you mention it, I do have something to add. I'm a little confused: First you said the BATFE was involved in your CHL, then when they pointed out that it was actually the FBI, you basically said "same difference" in post #13. But now you're still claiming that the BATFE was involved in your CHL. So my question is how exactly were they involved and how do you know it was the BATFE and not the FBI?
Old August 9, 2014, 12:23 PM   #20
picker

OK, a short story after retirement I decided to get and carry a Beretta 9mm as a man ages he just needs something that offers some protection, Im not young and agile like I used to be.......... So starts the story.
I buy me a Beretta and no problem, remember they have my SS# on the form.
I enjoy the Beretta a few weeks target practicing at the Ranch and after I get used to the gun I decide to Get a CHL easy to get my sisters say they both have one, I just never felt the need since TX gun laws are favorable to citizens.
Anyway I go through the steps for a CHL without a SS#, and my paper work gets turned over to the BATF, yes the "F" in BATF means firearms which is exactly what they told me when they requested my presence at the Federal BDLG in San Antonio, seems like my prints and a convicted felon matched close enough for them to request my presense and verify my identity.
The meeting was short and sweet after I cooled off and they were friendly when I explained I was born and raised in the same county I reside in and the Sheriff and I are personal friends we team rope together at the Cowboy Church.
And my point is if I get get rejected and have my paper work turned over to the BATF anyone can, I truthfully don't know if this is their standard practice but it was in my case.
Best/joe
Closed Thread