The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 21, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1
jdscholer

Parkerizing DIY. Can I Do It?

My latest interest involves a Russian refurb SKS, which I'm thinking of stripping the paint off of and Parkerizing. I read about it on Wikipedia and another on-line sight, and it didn't seem like rocket science.

I wondered if any of you amateurs - or pros could give me any insight or your experiences; what kind of results; iron zink, or manganese salts; danger,etc.

I'm thinking parkerize in stead bluing for this particular project, but I'm also interested in blueing for some other guns I've got. Haven't really done a search for chemicals yet. I'm thinking Brownells or??? jd
Old April 22, 2010, 11:11 AM   #2
vladan

Try here :

http://blindhogg.com/parkerizing.html

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...hl=parkerizing

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...T;f=22;t=24412
Old April 22, 2010, 10:29 PM   #3
jdscholer

Thanks vladan, those sites give me plenty to work with as well as good hope for success. Seems pretty economical also, which is good since I now want to purchase a bead blaster. jd
Old April 22, 2010, 11:55 PM   #4
vladan

Glad to help, just don't do it in the kitchen when the boss is home
Old April 23, 2010, 08:06 AM   #5
jdscholer

Hell, at any given time our kitchen looks like a ---- little shop of horrors. Mrs. jd is usually making herb infused oils, home made soap, boiling elk teeth. Gotta be real careful to grab dinner instead of science project.

I don't think one more project on the stove will hurt. jd
Old April 23, 2010, 01:31 PM   #6
Old Guard Dog

Harbor Freight is a good source for bead blasting cabinets. I bought the larger floor model for $100.00 on sale. They also have aluminum oxide grit and glass bead. I did add a seperate regulator with water seperator because I was getting some moisture through the gun.
Old April 23, 2010, 08:09 PM   #7
jdscholer

Quote:
Harbor Freight is a good source for bead blasting cabinets. I bought the larger floor model for $100.00 on sale. They also have aluminum oxide grit and glass bead. I did add a seperate regulator with water seperator because I was getting some moisture through the gun.
Odd that you should mention that, because the Cheap Chinese Tool Sale is in our area, and I just came from there. They have a blast cabinet there for $99, and I'm about to run down and pick it up.

I just had to run home and see if my compressor was rated at enough cfm to run the thing. I'm good in that respect, but have to find some blast media.

Thanks for the input, and keep it coming. jd
Old April 26, 2010, 10:30 PM   #8
dchi

Its very easy. It will park in few minutes. It must be bead blasted 1st for the park solution to etch right on the steel. It acts like a mild acid. If your bore is chrome lined don't worry but regular barrels, you need to plug the bore chamber and gas port or the bore will be etched by the acid. Don't worry its not strong acid. Just wear gloves and make sure its really clean before you dip it in. Use Dicroclean 909 first. You'll need a stainless steel tank long enough for you gun and a heat sorce and themometer.