The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2012, 11:04 PM   #1
swamprat

Neck sizing primed .223 brass

I have purchased bulk .223 air pulled brass, bullets and powder. Bullets are .55 gr fmj and are very clean with no marks and so is the brass. Powder is WC844 and cross loads with H335. The seller states the brass needs neck sizing and I can understand that, but I have found that only about three out of a hundred will measure larger than .200 inside neck diameter. I would like to neck size all the cases but don't have a die that I like. I bought a Lee collet neck die and that was money wasted. What does the inside neck diameter need to be before seating and what die do I need for this purpose? Does anyone makes a carbide die for this purpose? I have been reloading since the 70s, but have been away from it for awhile and there are lots of products available that were not there when I was loading years ago.

Thanks for any help.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Walkalong

If the necks are .200 or less ID, they'll be fine. I imagine the seller suggested neck sizing to fix any dented or out of round necks. It would have to be a bad dent before a FMJ-BT bullet would not start and seat. If you have the occasional one that is, you can use a Lee decapping rod or something similar to poke the case mouth and straighten it enough to start a bullet. Any tapered rod that will fit in the neck will work.
Old September 25, 2012, 07:52 AM   #3
swamprat

Neck sizing primed .223 brass

I really appreciate the help. I had consulted a few friends that load, and we had determined that we were not bringing the IND down smaller than .200, even if we full length sized. This would be (in my opinion) a wasted step, as 97% of the air pulled brass will measure this right out of the bag. You can definately feel the difference in resistance when seating the bullet and it will tell you if one is not right. The decapper pin on the Lee collet neck sizing die can not be removed, as on RCBS or Lyman, so one of the guys at Titan reloading suggested cutting it off with a dramel tool. Apparently this question had come to them before and this is what had worked for others, so this is what I did. This die should work well now on a dented neck and a replacement collet is only about four bucks. I think you will be seeing more and more questions about primed brass.
Thanks again
Old September 25, 2012, 04:20 PM   #4
PA-Joe

Are you sure the primers are ok?
Old September 25, 2012, 08:08 PM   #5
swamprat

I have tested and retested my loads and have had no problems. I have been very impressed with these components. I will be ordering more very soon.
Old September 29, 2012, 12:34 PM   #6
5R milspec

If I am not stepping on your toes here I would soon get a new mandrel for your die.Reason for saying this is that the deprimeing pin keeps the mandrel straight for the resizing of the necks.This is the main reason to why those who use the collet die, it just puts out a straight neck when used right.
Old September 29, 2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Slamfire

I have read claims of "air pulled" bullets, this air pulling of brass is most interesting and if it is as I suspect, fired ammunition, if you are loading this ammunition for a gas gun, like an AR15, you should full length resize your brass.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:31 AM   #8
the jigger

Neck-sizing primed brass?

To neck-size primed brass I remove the de-capping pin from RCBS neck sizer die and "have-at-it!"