The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 2, 2012, 11:20 AM   #1
TomADC

Nagant revolver

So I get an email from Bud's Gun Shop to buy a Nagant revolver to go with the MN rifle I bought from they a while back, so at $129 I figure why not!
I oder it and soon after I get another email my order had been cancelled as the Nagant even though its 50+ years old is not legal for sale in CA.
Go figure only here.
But Bud's you know I live in CA why send the email?
Old July 2, 2012, 01:41 PM   #2
the rifleer

I have seen them for sale at gun shops here in CA, so it should be legal.
Old July 2, 2012, 01:48 PM   #3
TomADC

I'm sure I've seen Turners sell them but Bud's won't send them here.
Not sure what the reason it, I'll ask.
Old July 2, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Hardcase

Read the note on the California DOJ web site:

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

"Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement." (emphasis is mine.)
Old July 3, 2012, 08:43 AM   #5
TomADC

I'm going to send that back to Bud's I just got an answer saying it wasn't on the list so they can't sell it.
Thanks Tom
Old July 3, 2012, 11:59 AM   #6
TomADC

Waste of time but now they have a note it can't be shipped to CA. Last email said this is a working revolver not a curios? No kidding.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:48 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I think you need a C&R to transfer a C&R gun into California. Just something I remember from when I had a C&R in Ohio. Not 100% sure.
Old July 3, 2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Chuckusaret

I don't know about the Crazyfornia laws but I would give Aim Surplus a call. I just ordered one from them @ $109 plus shipping but I have a C&R license plus I live in the Gunshine state, Florida.
Old July 4, 2012, 11:08 AM   #9
TomADC

I don't have a C&R license but would have to have it shipped to a FFL licensed dealer which I intended to do, mean time I found Classic Arms has the same package for $89 and will ship to a dealer here.
Old July 4, 2012, 01:34 PM   #10
SteveBonning

Yea, skip Bud's. If they are not willing to learn the laws go elsewhere. However, I've seen many sites that state they cannot ship C & R handguns to C & R licensees in California (long guns are OK). So it may be another stupid California law......
Old July 4, 2012, 07:55 PM   #11
TomADC

C&R handguns most go thru a FFL01 dealer, long guns can go to a C&R license holder.
Old July 7, 2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Amsdorf

Bummer, guy.

The price you pay for living in the People's Republik of Kalifornia.
Old July 31, 2012, 10:17 PM   #13
BerdanSS

EDIT.....LOL I just realized this was from '09 Oh well...still though M1895 for $99?

Aim Surplus has very nice ones for $99 (including CCCP tulas for and extra $11) with holster and cleaning kit. Not trying to undercut bud's or anything, I like them and all....but why pay $30 more? That's your transfer fee right there.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...agant+Revolver

Aim's CA policy: CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS: All handgun shipments to "01" Dealer FFL only and modern handguns must be on the California approved list. No High Capacity magazine sales. No Assault Weapon sales. C&R Licensees may purchase only C&R Rifles that are at least 50 years old, even if the rifle appears on the Federal C&R list. All CA Dealers must give us their CL# before ordering. Check for other Local & State laws before ordering.