The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 14, 2011, 10:17 PM   #1
ZVP

Many shooting Hobbies

As I type this, BP Revolver shooting is my top intrest! However I have other shooting intrests and every once in a while someone (usually on the net) will bring up a long wanted item and I get the urge to shift my BP budget in other directions (like after the rifle in question).
It's hard to stay focused in any certain direction when you love so many things equally as much. And this is just shooting... I have Boats, my Pick-up and Fishing todraw me sideways too!
How bout you guys? How do you stay focused to BP Revolvers?
I need all the mental help andstrong willed tricks that I can get cause I'm slipping!!!
ZVP
Old September 15, 2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Z,

I wish the heck I had time for BP revolver shooting.

I used to do sailing but gave that up because it was lower priority than shooting. (And I have a knee that is starting to go so my handling of the boat became a little painful) Did motorcycles but that turned into fair weather transportation which doesn't make logical sense, so I gave that up. I like working in the shop on the revolvers (actually possibly more than shooting them) but I never seem to have time for that.

Just got a new position which I thought, (silly me) would give me a little more time. But that has not worked out. I work about three days a week out of the house. I have to work out of the house because at the office there are too many distactions that keep me from doing the things I need to be doing. (I have 186 emails to answer this morning and that does not include the ones which will come in today)

I must say, that I do not refer to it as a "hobby". Don't know why. It just seems as though it is more than a hobby.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Noz

All I can suggest is get involved in CAS/SASS.

It is so addictive that all other hobbies/activities will begin to take a back seat. You'll spend so much money on guns, clothes(especially if Momma gets involved), transportation to shoots and hotel/motel/campers that there won't be enough left over for anything else.

Who needs 7 matching revolvers? (just because you'll need back ups when the first 5 break down)

Who needs 4 pair of boots, 3 formal costumes, 10 shirts and 6 pairs of pants plus wild rags, ties, garters and a whole closet full of stuff for Momma.

Actually none of the above is NEEDED. A long sleeve shirt and a pair of jeans fills the requirements. It's just part of the addiction.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Tanker6

+1 what Noz said.....

Try getting your kids involved with SASS and just see what an addiction it becomes. Every week that we have planned to go shoot, I get to hear my kids ask stuff like, "Dad, you washed my so-and-so outfit for this week's shoot, right?" and "Do we have enough shotgun shells loaded for this weekend?" This literally goes on all week up to the shoot. We only shoot twice a month, but I need the other time to get ready for the next one!