The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 27, 2009, 01:17 PM   #1
gunner4391

Can't wait

So, I don't know how it happened, but I'm the only one in my family with any intrest in hunting (actually a lot of people I know think that it's barbaric :barf Well I finally got my wish and I'm getting to go whitetail or possibly some other game in Wisconsin. Well, I've got a few options...I've got a 65 lb recurve that I've shot since I was 14, I've got my remington 710 in 30-06 and I've got my benelli in 3" 12 gauge and I've also got an older stevens 16 gauge single shot. So which should I use and should I possibly go for a different type of game in Wisconsin? (I've gotta stay in wisconsin, pretty much my only requirement ) Also, any tips would be good too.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:20 PM   #2
COYOTE JLR

Congratulations! I come from a very similar background and was, at the start, the only person in my entire family that had any interest in guns at all. Over time I've got my mother, one of my sisters, one of my brothers, and even a couple friends into shooting if not hunting. Its been an exciting thing and I'm hoping that you have a similarly positive experience.

As for hunting, I would probably encourage you to take your 30-06. Seeing as its your first time out I would probably want as much of an advantage as I can get. Just to get some experience under my belt. I've never hunted in your area so I don't know what else to tell ya, but that's what my suggestion would be.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Daryl

It's hard to choose a firearm without knowing what the terrain and cover are like.

In my areas, the shotguns would be a severe handicap, since the country is generally open and shots can be long...unless your good at stalking in open country. For a first hunt here, I'd suggest the 30-06.

If the cover is thick, and shots will be close, then the shotgun might be your best option there for a successful first hunt.

In the end, you have to decide what will work best for you.

Daryl
Old July 27, 2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Pahoo

I have hunted Wisconsin and if you have it set up, you should be able to hunt more than one season. The bow season will start before the gun seasons and will really get you back in the woods and knowing how and where they are moving. When the gun season starts, you will have a leg up in more than one way. I love primative hunts and I'd start shooting that bow in the back yard. Just watch out for the dog. Good luck and you have a great state to hunt in.

Be Safe !!!
Old July 27, 2009, 09:33 PM   #5

If it is during bow season, take the recurve. If it is gun season, take the 30-06. If you switch it around you may get in trouble.

Seriously, take the rifle. I think you would have greater potential for success.
Old July 27, 2009, 11:04 PM   #6
matt_3479

Congrats dude!!!!!

Im a little different, my father and I are both hunters and in a couple years so will be my younger brother. Im 16 and im getting my wish too, Im doing a moose and bear hunt in october.

I would suggest bringing your 30-06, and whitetail is an excellent choice.

Im either taking my 30-06 or my 7mm i think im taking the 7mm only cause i prefer bolts.

good luck, happy hunting