The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2001, 04:06 PM   #1
Nicholai Hel

does this exist??

i would like to change the fore-end on my mossy 500. i hate the corncob look. the best looking fore-end ever to be put on a shotgun was the spas-12 fore-end. it looked like the most comfortable thing in the world. but i have heard that this gun was very problematic and hard to find. does anyone make a lookalike for other conventional shotguns? if not, where would one go to have one custom made for a mossberg 500? thanks for any help, it is driving me crazy.
Old July 27, 2001, 01:25 AM   #2
Romulus

Nic, have you checked out the Speedfeed "police" forend? I think it's quite nice, straightforward, and even though it may be called "corn-cob" style, that simply refers to the ringed grooves as opposed to the checkered pattern. However, the Speedfeed stock doesn't have the pointy shape of a true corn-cob like the Mossy forend.

I think their site is www.speedfeed.com

Check them out. The fit and finish is superb for a synthetic, unlike some of the others...
Old July 27, 2001, 12:34 PM   #3
Nicholai Hel

yeah, i have seen the speed feed stocks and choate makes a few alternatives. but ever since i handled a spas-12 that fore-end has just felt good in the hand. maybe i can have something like that custom made. who makes good custom shotgun stocks that might be able to do this?
Old July 27, 2001, 01:18 PM   #4
nedfig

I have not done this, but you could probably get the foreend and fit it yourself.
Old July 27, 2001, 01:37 PM   #5
jthuang

I fear you may have to get an existing fore-end and modify it accordingly. I don't know of any concerns that sell SPAS fore-ends that are compatible with other shotguns.

Problems is that the SPAS has not been imported since 1989. I would contact Franchi USA to see if they have any in stock.

If the above fails, the closest thing I can think of -- in terms of a current production weapon -- is the fore-end of a Robinson Arms M96 Expeditionary Rifle.

Justin
Old July 27, 2001, 11:00 PM   #6
Coronach

Nicholai Hel

A Trevanian fan, perchance? Which one...Tshibumi?

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old July 28, 2001, 01:15 AM   #7
Nicholai Hel

yeah, Shibumi is one of my favorites. i like all the books with John Hemlock, as well. ever seen the movie "The Eiger Sanction" with good old Clint Eastwood? pretty good adaptation of the book. i am looking for a new author in that same genre. i am getting tired of rereading the same books.
Old July 28, 2001, 10:13 AM   #8
Coronach

never saw it, I'll take a look next time I'm out renting. I loved two things about Shibumi:

1. The way he treats Volvos. VEEEEEERRRRRY funny. Try that at a soccer mom gathering some day.

2. The handling of 'computer technology.' Completely wrong, but eerily accurate when it comes to doing a search via a search engine (oopps...too much detail. oops...not enough detail).

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein