The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 3, 2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Gamehunter59

.22 bulk ammo

Which brand shoots cleaner and jams less in your experiences: Federal 550 bulk pack or the Remington Golden Bullet 550 bulk pack
Old January 3, 2009, 11:20 PM   #2
SPUSCG

beware, soon a flood of people will be on overglorifying federal bulk, dont get me wrong, it shoots accurately but ftfs alot, golden sabres cant possibly be worse than thunderbolts:barf:

heard good things about winchester
Old January 3, 2009, 11:43 PM   #3
mbreitba

I've had some bad experiences with the golden bullets, but YMMV.

I've had really good luck with the Federal AutoMatch. It cycles quite well and groups extremely well (1/2" 5 shot groups typically) at 50 yards w/ my 10/22 w/ a butler creek bull barrel.
Old January 3, 2009, 11:47 PM   #4
stevelyn

I'll be the first to chime in here and give Federal my vote of confidence.

However, Federal Bulk has two loads, #745 and #750. Load #745 seems to be the one with less issues. The numbers for #745 are slightly higher than they are for #750, but in the real world don't make any difference.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old January 3, 2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Wuchak

All of my .22's do well with Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack but .22's are notoriously picky about ammo. The RGB's is what I always keep stocked up on.

I'll add a second vote for that Federal Automatch. It's a little more expensive than the regular bulk pack stuff but it's definitely a big step up in quality. I usually keep that on hand too.
Old January 4, 2009, 01:04 PM   #6
JWT

Have never had any problems with any of my .22s with Federals or Blazer bulk packs. My semi autos do have problems with the Remington 'Goldies'. Whatever the waxy stuff they put on them seems to be the issue.
Old January 4, 2009, 01:21 PM   #7
2FNSLO

They all seem to work about as well as each other out of my .22's. (2 10/22's, P22, MkII, NAA Mini. The reason I don't shoot the Golden bullets is because of the gold colored dust on them gets all over my P22 and can. Stupid reason I'm sure, but the Federal Bulk ammo works just as well and doesn't have it.
Old January 4, 2009, 01:26 PM   #8
cornbush

I shoot alot of both, haven't noticed a real difference between the 2. I get just as many ftf's with both as far as I can tell.
Old January 4, 2009, 01:32 PM   #9
hoytinak

I shoot alot of both and haven't noticed much difference in the two expect the Remingtons seem to be a little hotter. With the Federals I get more failure-to-feeds but with the Remingtons I get more failure-to-fires. Once I get through all of these two I have left, I'm just going to the CCI Mini-Mags for all my .22lr work (before I just used them for hunting and used the bulk packs for plinking).
Old January 4, 2009, 01:57 PM   #10
jr05

Another vote for the federal 550 round bulk packs.

I have been shooting this for years and got a .22lr upper for my AR a little over a year ago and have shot well over 2k of the federal stuff through it with maybe 1 dud and no other issues. I have also run it through many other guns with similar results.

.22lr is cheap, my recommendation is to buy a few boxes of all the bulk stuff and see what your gun(s) like the most.

-JR
Old January 4, 2009, 02:12 PM   #11
JohnRaven

Federal. Period.

Winchester XTS (or w/e it is) at wal-mart is CRAP... The worst quality control in ammo I've ever seen...
Old January 4, 2009, 07:31 PM   #12
finfanatic

Federal

I like the federal Bulk packs. It shoots cleaner and is not covered with some awful gray grease like Remington is.

My local Walmart has been out of Federal Bulk packs for quite awhile.

So I bought a brick of Remington Thunderbolt from Dick's for 19.97, just to try. It fired fine in my Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark III, and my Norinco JW-15. But both my daughter and I had gray, greasy fingers from loading the mags with the ammo.

Plus it seems to have been really dirty-firing.

I have been buying Federal Champion and Automatch, along with Winchester, when I find it in my local Walmarts.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:43 PM   #13
kametc

Neither.......Bulk = cheap.... IE Wal-Mart cheap.....cheap does as cheap is.

Compare either one performance wise to the Federal Eagle copper plate 38 gr hp .22's. 40 to a box, 400 to a brick or 4000 to a case. Probably not availible at Wal Mart as Federal wouldn't cheapen em up Wal Mart style. Try the other SG stores though. I last bought them for about $110 a case. Have fired many many 1000's of them with good accuracy and few FTF's

Ken
Old January 4, 2009, 07:54 PM   #14
sserdlihc

Federal bulk pack 550 is what I use. No jams in my P22 thus far.
Old January 4, 2009, 08:32 PM   #15
DiscoRacing

i shoot both in my marlin 60 and dont have trouble with either one... prefer the federal for price tho... i like to spend my excess money on centerfire reloading... which i also shoot more of
Old January 5, 2009, 06:46 AM   #16
ryalred

We must have gotten a bad lot of Federal Bulk 22 ammo. It jams in my Ruger pistol and also have had a lot of non-firing rounds in this box. It's not the gun, I don't believe, it shoots everything else fine.
reloading -- addicted
Old January 5, 2009, 09:31 AM   #17
Te Anau

I've found bulk Federal to be loaded light and more erratic than Remington Golden bullets.
Old January 5, 2009, 09:39 AM   #18
CajunBass

I haven't used anything but Federal Bulk Pack from Wally World in years. It may not be the "best" in any of my guns, but it's "good enough" in all of them.

(Except a Bersa Firestorm pistol, but that one ONLY runs right with CCI Mini Mags.)
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 5, 2009, 10:32 AM   #19
rcupka

At the Range this weekend one guy had a couple of Remington Golden Bullets that didn't fire even though they had a nice strike on the rim. We pulled the bullets and found that there was no primer material on about half of the rim. Seems like poor quality control on this lot.
Old January 5, 2009, 11:20 AM   #20
troy_mclure

ive got a marlin 60 and Sig trailside.
the federal has a ftf/fte rate of about 1/15 in the mod 60, 1/10 in the trailside.
the rem has a ftf/fte rate of 1/5 in the mod 60, and 1/3 in the trailside.

the wolf 250 boxes are the best "bulk" .22 ammo i have used, it rarely ftf/fte in either gun. maybe 1 or 2 per box of 250.

i prefer wolf gold medal match .22 but its $4-$6 per box of 50.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 5, 2009, 11:57 AM   #21
aeonrevolution

Federal Bulk is good. CCI Mini Mags and Stingers are the best. You pay like $16 for 200 rounds of Mini Mags and $16 for 525 Federals.
Old January 5, 2009, 12:43 PM   #22
Technosavant

Used them in a Ruger 22/45, Remington 597, and Sig Trailside. Golden Bullets are reasonably accurate, but unreliable- had numerous failures to ignite. Federals seem accurate enough and more reliable.
Old January 5, 2009, 12:50 PM   #23
Wuchak

"the federal has a ftf/fte rate of about 1/15 in the mod 60, 1/10 in the trailside.
the rem has a ftf/fte rate of 1/5 in the mod 60, and 1/3 in the trailside."

Failure rates this high would indicate something wrong with the gun (dirty firing pins giving light strikes?) not the ammo. Some crud built up on the feed ramp or under the extractor?

I have had a boxes of RGB's over the years where there were 1 in 50 bad rounds, or 11 in box of 550. Normally it runs about 1 in 100 or less and even those will often fire after a second strike in the revolver. That's running them through revolvers and semi-autos, bolt rifles, and lever rifles. Accuracy of the rounds will vary between guns but ignition and extraction should be very close to the same.
Old January 5, 2009, 12:54 PM   #24
strat81

I like the Federal 525 and 550 packs much more than any Remington rimfire ammo.

The Federal stuff works fine in a Beretta Neos and Ruger Mark II.
Old January 5, 2009, 03:44 PM   #25
mikejonestkd

Fed 550 bulk packs are far and away the best bang for the buck, IMO.

Its not the best for accuracy in all of my firearms but it is the one brand that will always feed and go boom in everything I own.

two other excellent choices are the federal automatch and CCI mini mags.

Tags
.22 , ammo , federal , remington , ruger