The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 12, 2007, 05:51 AM   #1
cajuncutter

Old Colt, need some feedback

This gun belongs to a buddy of mine. He was just curious about the history of the gun, date of production. I was wondering if any of you Colt guru's would know anything about this gun.
Thanks Caj

Attached Images
File Type: jpg colt1.jpg (56.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg colt2.jpg (66.8 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg colt3.jpg (56.5 KB, 199 views)
Old August 12, 2007, 05:53 AM   #2
cajuncutter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg colt4.jpg (61.1 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg colt5.jpg (65.2 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg colt6.jpg (103.6 KB, 192 views)
Old August 12, 2007, 05:54 AM   #3
cajuncutter

One last picture

Attached Images
File Type: jpg colt7.jpg (50.8 KB, 188 views)
Old August 12, 2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Jdomin

call the colt factory

for $150 they will letter the gun for your friend,shipping date and configuration of the gun as it left the factory.Looks like it has seen some hard times.
Old August 12, 2007, 06:52 AM   #5
cajuncutter

He is 65 and it belonged to his father when his father was a kid. I am sure it was used a lot back in the day. He would rather save the money and go on the word of those that are knowledgeable of this line of firearms. Thanks for your input.
Old August 12, 2007, 07:45 AM   #6
tipoc

I'm no "Colt guru" but...

By the serial number it looks to be late 1902. The grips look to be original. Looks like the gun was very well used and not too well cared for, buggered screws and all. Rust and pitting were getting to it so someone applied what looks like a baked on enamel finish. I can't tell what caliber it is and you did not say. That should be marked on the side of the barrel.

A number of these older guns were sometimes rebarreled and rechambered to another caliber. I could be wrong but the chamfereing at the front of the cylinder looks like the type they did later than 1903. There should be patent dates running along the top of the barrel.

Does the gun operate?

tipoc
Old August 12, 2007, 08:37 AM   #7
cajuncutter

Yes the gun operates. The dates are in the pictures. They are located under the cylinder (SEPT 19, 1871 JULY 2. 72 JAN. 19. 75) it is a 45 cal. Yes the pitting has gotten bad, there is no baked on enamel. The gun has been hanging on his wall for years. I happened to take one of his revolvers down and brought the pitting to his attention. He took it upon himself to oil down every gun he owns. He doesn’t seem to care about the condition of the guns which is kind of ashamed. If I were in line to inherit his collection I would not only be all over him to maintain these guns but would be doing it myself. His children and grandchildren would never appreciate some of the guns that he has so I really do not push the issue. He would like to know the ballpark value of this gun, I warned him to not expect much given the condition. Another gun he has, which could be saved from deep rust and pitting is a colt woodsman, he had it when he was a kid. It looks to be in reasonable condition and it good enough shape to be reblued. That would certainly bring the value down but in the condition it is in it would not really matter I wouldn't think.
Caj
Old August 12, 2007, 10:57 AM   #8
357 Python

You say he is a friend. Well if you can swing it why not spend the $150 on the Colt certificate and present it to him as a gift. I'm sure he would treasure it as much as the old Colt itself. Who knows maybe this kindness will come back to you later with dividends. It would be interesting to know his response if you presented him with the certificate.

Just because you are not related to him does not mean he still can't give them to you. He could simply give them to you as a gift or if he has a will he could leave them to you. Show him that you have an interest in keeping them in decent shape and he may take notice. He may also offer to sell them to you for a reasonable price.

Last edited by 357 Python; August 12, 2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old August 12, 2007, 12:30 PM   #9
44and45

Sorry to say this, but that old Colt looks to be spray can painted with some type of matte paint.

Its too evenly finished in that coat to be anything else. This of course hides a multitude of ills the real metal finish must show.

Dip it in Acetone and stand by to be shocked when that matte comes off.

Now here is the upside on this gun. With the matte paint stripped off to bare metal, the firearm may still bring a pretty good return if one wanted to sell it.

Old Colts are like bars of gold.

Jim
Old August 13, 2007, 09:46 AM   #10
tipoc

Cajun,

When I asked about the dates, etc. along the top of the barrel the reason was to see if the barrel is original to the gun, cut down, or something else. If the patent dates etc. are centered along the top of the barrel that increases the chances that it is original and not a later replacement.

The piece does look to have been spray painted with "Rustoleum" paint, baked on enamel or some other type of home finish.

A letter from Colt will cost $100.00, a rush letter $150. you can track them down at the Colt website.

tipoc