The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 15, 2016, 09:45 PM   #1
dubsRedhawk

Ruger Redhawk: Wolff springs and misfires

I have an '83 Ruger Redhawk that I purchased about a month ago. First thing I did was order the Wolff spring pack which come with a 12, 13 and 14 lbs spring to replace the roughly 17 lbs factory spring. Of course, I put the 12 lbs spring in for starters. I ran into a cylinder problem before I had a chance to shoot it and had to send it in to Ruger. Absolutely fantastic customer service. They fixed the cylinder problem, tuned the gun and sent it back to me free of charge even though I was not the original owner. They also, for reasons I think I now know, pulled out my spring and put a factory spring back in it. Finally got to shoot the gun with Fiocchi ammo and was at almost a 50% ignition fail rate. Fun with a 44 mag. Lets you know your flinch factor. lol

Now to help you all out, I really did my homework on this. Found out about the Redhawk using just one spring for trigger and hammer. Lighten the trigger and you also lighten the hammer force. Also found out that there is a little firing pin depth/length issue that can make these touchy. I'm fairly certain that Ruger put the factory spring back in because they also had a misfire. Started reading about different factory primers and that Federal seems to have about the lightest/soft ignite and CCI seems to be at the other end.

Here's the bottom line: I don't like the hard feel of the factory spring and want to meet somewhere in the middle. Question is should I spend more time messing with spring lbs or finding ammo that ignites easier in these guns with lighter lbs? The 12 lbs felt really nice and the 14 lbs would work just fine too. Just don't want the weight of that factory spring. Any thoughts from you that have tackled this would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old March 15, 2016, 10:33 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Ruger put their spring back in because it's their policy to un-do any aftermarket parts & action work to return the gun to their original specs.

If you're getting a 50% misfire rate with their spring, you're not going to be able to go any lower with an aftermarket.

Choices are a Bowen extended firing pin & a slight shaving of the hammer face, or find soft-primered ammunition & stick to it.

I'd go (and have) the Bowen route.

You can order the pin from him & have a local guy install.
Denis
Old March 15, 2016, 10:46 PM   #3
Jim Watson

As you have found, the single spring action of the Redhawk is its big limitation.
If it misfires with the factory spring on factory loads you have the option of sending it back yet again, seeking out a real gunsmith, or tinkering per Denis.

By the way, Ruger will remove and replace with factory any aftermarket part whether it works or not.
Old March 15, 2016, 10:46 PM   #4
dubsRedhawk

Actually, I wasn't clear on my post. I had the misfires with the lightest 12 lbs Wolff spring. Have not had a chance to fire with any other springs. I'm sure the factory spring would work just fine since it's so heavy. Just want to try and get away with something a little lighter.
Old March 15, 2016, 10:52 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

This ignition issue is an old one, affects many, but not all, Reds & Ruger really needs to address it.
Which they've been unwilling to do for many years.

If you get 100% with the factory spring, but anything less in trying any of the Wolff springs, you can answer your own question.

Otherwise, the extended firing pin is your best bet.
Denis
Old March 15, 2016, 11:32 PM   #6
dubsRedhawk

Thanks so much for the replies. Time to buy some more ammo and take a trip to the woods.
Old March 16, 2016, 05:48 PM   #7
RalphS

I have the 14 lb Wolff springs in both of my Redhawks. Trigger pull is around 10 lbs DA on my Lyman trigger pull gauge. Works fine for me. I shoot one of them every week and only double action.

I also use Federal primers in my Redhawk reloads.

I'd also recommend installing hammer and trigger shims.

If you do get the extended firing pin, let us know how it works and what the cost is. Google "bowen redhawk firing pin" and you'll find some discussion on other forums.

Last edited by RalphS; March 16, 2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old March 17, 2016, 02:33 PM   #8
kman314

Try the 14 lb spring.
Old March 17, 2016, 06:57 PM   #9
dubsRedhawk

Just picked up some Fed ammo and installed the 14 lbs spring. Will let you know soon.
Old March 19, 2016, 12:13 PM   #10
V-fib

dubsRedhawk, check out this article on the buffalo bore ammo sight it may give you some insight into your prob.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=139

scroll down on the article to Ruger Redhawk

v-fib
Old March 21, 2016, 08:09 PM   #11
jackmoser65

You need a professional action job, not a spring swap. Springs should only be changed if you're also removing any friction in the action. Not all by itself.
Old April 2, 2016, 03:47 PM   #12
dubsRedhawk

I'm sure I do need some polishing and what not on the action. All I know is I tried the 14# spring with the federal rounds......zero misfires. Then I dropped the 12# spring back in. Zero misfires. Just gunna shoot Federals and enjoy that light trigger for now.