The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 21, 2011, 03:04 PM   #1
SDShooter79

Time to go

Well, after 4 years in the great state of South Dakota, it's time to move on. Just received an assignment to Luke AFB outside of Phoeniz AZ. So, all you hunters down AZ, tell me what the huntins like.
Old September 22, 2011, 03:50 AM   #2
huntinaz

You're going to be *very* disappointed about our deer herd. We have lots of elk though
Old September 22, 2011, 09:47 AM   #3
BikerRN

AZ has a sharp learning curve when it comes to hunting.

You can forget the stuff you read in the magazines and plan on investing in high quality optics and wearing out the seat of your pants sitting and glassing. The nice thing about AZ is the variety of game and different hunting conditions you will encounter, from sonoran desert to pines and 9,000 foot mountains. They may not be as grand as CO, but they will do in my opinion.

My focus this year is on deer, coyotes, and mountain lion. I'll do some duck hunting when it cools off a bit too. The style of hunting is different than most places, but it's been said that if you can hunt here, you can hunt anywhere. Get used to longer range shooting too. 400+ Yards on a deer or antelope is not unheard of.

Biker
Old September 22, 2011, 12:33 PM   #4
SDShooter79

Since I've been in SD, I've been focusing on big game hunting. It looks like AZ has a good coyote population, looking forward to getting back into that. Also, I'm not exactly sure what a javelina is, but I'm going to shoot one...then eat it of course.
Old September 22, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5
BikerRN

Have it made in to chorizo and eat that with your eggs. That's about all stink pig is good for.

Biker