The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 2, 2013, 10:48 PM   #51
Savage99

Reach out with your other hand and touch the frame or barrel on it's bottom side, if it does not move in recoil on your gun, with your other hand.

I use my thumb and forefinger on my .22's. It makes a very big improvement in accuracy.

Of course we can't do that with revolvers.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:49 AM   #52
dayman

I recently found a free android app shot timer. I still have to figure out some of the settings. Shooting at steel it seems to pick up either the steel getting hit, or maybe the echo - so it shows more shots than I've made and is pretty useless for split times - but it does seem to work well for getting a first shot time.
As it's been hard to get ammo recently anyway, I've found drawing and shooting for every shot extends the amount of time I have with my ammo ration, and has been cutting down on the time.
What's worked for me has been not actually going for speed. I draw, aim, and fire a shot as fast as I can, but don't rush myself. After a few dozen repetitions the time goes down on it's own.
I'm certainly not as fast as anyone who's actually "fast", but after a few weeks I'm down to about 1.2" from my OWB hip holster, and about 2.5" from my IWB holster (@5:00, under a shirt). Not particularly impressive times, but better than where I started, and much faster than I would have guessed. I also didn't realize it takes me about twice as long to get my gun out of my concealment rig, so that was useful info too.
I'm switching from a soft IWB to a hybrid in the hope that it improves that time, but with free apps out there there's no excuse not to get a timer and actually know what's going on.
Old May 3, 2013, 08:33 AM   #53
breakingcontact

Re: How to improve speed while maintaining accuracy with semi-auto pistols?

dayman, very cool. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Glad to hear you are training and being critical of your technique. I tried a timer app too. Wasn't any good. Will pick up a real one sometime.
Old May 4, 2013, 02:57 AM   #54
thump_rrr

The best way I have found to increase speed is to use a shot timer as others have mentioned.
I use IPSC Shot Timer Pro on my iPhone with a set of ear buds under my muffs.
It works perfectly at our indoor range even with other shooters close by.

The drill I use is simple and can be adapted to your type of shooting.
I load 2 rounds into the magazine in the gun and a full spare mag.
I use an IPSC target but a USPSA is just as good.
Draw and fire 2 shots reload on slide lock and shoot 2 more.

The reason I use this drill set up in this method is that you get to practice a reload at the same time.
Always reload with a full mag which keeps the weight of the mag constant.
You don't want to practice with a mag holding 2 rounds which is lighter and will not handle the same.
By using an IPSC or USPSA target you have a realistically sized "A" zone.
If all your shots are in the "A" zone you are shooting too slowly.
If your shots are not in the "A" zone at all you are shooting too rapidly.
A few lessons with a local instructor can really help you out by improving your stance and grip.

I took a local intro to IPSC course which helps by also watching others shoot and see their errors and see what corrective measures were needed to improve their technique.

When drawing and firing each individual step should be performed and when put together creates a blueprint for repeatability.
1)grip. Drive the web of your hand between the thumb and index finger into the butt of the gun with your index finger pointed straight out and wrap your fingers around the grip maintaining a straight trigger finger.
2)Draw. Draw the gun straight up and out of the holster so that the muzzle clears the holster while still maintaining a straight trigger finger.
3) Rotate. Rotate the gun so that the muzzle points forward.
4) Raise. Raise the firearm up to eye level, quite close to your face, while the support hand comes across to find its place on the grip.
5) Extend. While extending your arms forward, acquire your sight picture and place your index finger on the trigger.
6) Shoot. Squeeze the trigger.
7) Reload. Trigger finger straight against the frame. Release the magazine while simultaneously bringing the gun closer to your face. Use your index finger on your support hand to guide the tip of the magazine home.
Slingshot the slide, sights on target while extending and putting trigger finger on trigger.
Shoot.

Last edited by thump_rrr; May 5, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 07:17 PM   #55
Powdersmoke

For me trying to shoot faster and still be accurate was a game of diminishing returns. In other words whatever increase I achieved in speed while maintaining my accuracy required a bigger increase in the percentage of ammunition I shot in practice. Since my ammunition budget won't stretch any further I'm as fast and accurate as I'm going to get. I do have a really good handle on how fast I can shoot at 4,7,10 and 15 yards and still keep everything in the A zone of an IPSC target and that's a good thing to know because it's a lot different depending on the distance.