The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 16, 2010, 11:57 PM   #76
Gator_Weiss

Which is the stronger piece in terms of frame and barrel strength?

In an all steel, would it be the Army or the Navy series in the Colt cut?

Does Remington beat them all in terms of strength?
Old January 17, 2010, 04:29 AM   #77
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
In an all steel, would it be the Army or the Navy series in the Colt cut?
I'dsay both the '60 & '61 along with the '51 are the same in strength...jus' the Newer models are a hair more refined with a couple changes.

Quote:
Does Remington beat them all in terms of strength?
I say yes the Remington does exceed those Colts in strength, in my opinion...others findings may differ.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old January 17, 2010, 07:05 AM   #78
mykeal

With a nod of respect to the Remington 'mafia', I find no significant difference in strength between the 58 Remington and the 51 Navy/60 Army Colt designs. Colt's smaller torque box is more than compensated for by the massive top element (the arbor) as compared to the larger Remington box but smaller elements.

One has to go to the Ruger Old Army to find any real increase in strength in bp revolvers. The Starr and Rogers & Spencer designs mimic the Remington and do have slightly larger elements, so they could be argued to be stronger, and I have no doubt one could measure the difference. But all in all I don't think it's really significant.

BUT - why does it matter? All are plenty strong enough to do their jobs; any 'strength' beyond that is of academic interest only.
Old January 17, 2010, 12:46 PM   #79
mousegun

Which one is "stronger"? Depends on what ya mean by strength...

First, there's the catastrophic sense. Which one is most likely to blow up on firing. On first look the Remington design looks beefier. But the element most likely to let go from pressure is the cylinder. Either one is vulnerable in that category. They both have cylinders and, with the exception of the original Walkers, I haven't seen a preponderance of reports either way.

Second, there's the small parts breakage. A broken hammer spring trigger/bolt spring, cones, hand spring, hammer cam, sights, latches, etc., Any one will effectively put a revolver out of commission right now. Both designs are pretty much in parity here.

Third, how long does the gun take to "shoot loose"? Here, the Colt is the obvious loser. Remingtons don't have an arbor fixed into the back of the frame and wedge slots in the arbor and barrel. The Colt is somewhat adjustable against a moderate amount of wear, but ultimately it will need a gunsmith sooner than the Remington. The up side for the Colt is that a pocket full of parts may get a bit more mileage out of the Colt. A spare barrel, wedge and arbor key might get a cowpoke by for a while. But not forever.

Hey, Colt shooters: ever shoot yer barrel down range?

Last edited by mousegun; January 17, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old January 17, 2010, 06:34 PM   #80
mykeal

Quote:
ultimately it will need a gunsmith sooner than the Remington.
I see no data supporting such an allegation.

Quote:
No, nor do I know anybody who has.
Old January 17, 2010, 06:54 PM   #81
sundance44s

The rigid barrel - frame cylinder alignment of the solid rame Remington contributes to consistent ballistics and excellent accuracy over the Colt design of the era ..

Thus to keep the Colt shooting as well as the Remington it would take some Gunsmithing .
I shoot both types ..and this is my experience ....it is a fact .
Old January 17, 2010, 08:34 PM   #82
Smokin_Gun

You do now

Quote:
You have forgotten about my 1860 Army Pietta .44 that the wedge shot out and the locating pins sheared off the frame with 28gr of 777 ffg on the third shot?
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old January 17, 2010, 10:59 PM   #83
mousegun

Quote:
Quote:
ultimately it will need a gunsmith sooner than the Remington.
I see no data supporting such an allegation.
I see some in the post just following yours. I'm not trying to allege anything. Look around. A sprinkling of common sense helps.

Quote:
Quote:
..Is it me, or is the air in here a little close?
Old January 18, 2010, 06:07 AM   #84
arcticap

Quote:
Which one is "stronger"? Depends on what ya mean by strength...
If by strength you mean which is the stronger shooter then it's the Colts.
The looser tolerances of the Colts allow them to be fired for a longer period of time without interruption from fouling.

And also if by strength you mean which is the more powerful, then that would also be the Colts since the Walker and the Dragoon have a larger powder capacity.

For sure there's different ways to measure how much strength a gun design really has!
Old January 18, 2010, 06:20 AM   #85
mykeal

deleted as not worth the effort.
Old January 18, 2010, 06:51 AM   #86
sundance44s

One thing for sure , most of us here own both types .
So if you own both and shoot both often useing the same powder charges .
It will not take long to see the difference between the two design .
The Remingtons biggest falt if the early fouling of the cylinder ..Binding
Simple fix takes no more than 30 seconds to remove the cylinder and wipe the pin .
The Colt is prone to eat cap fragments and jam up the works .... (get your tools out )
They will both shoot loose in time with heavy use ....BUT as the Remington shoots loose it only gets better ...less prone to cylinder binding .
as the Colt shoots loose the POA will change ..unless you do a little gunsmithing to tighten things up .
If you haven`t noticed these differences ...you aren`t shooting your revolvers very often .
I shoot one of mine every weekend ....

I also remember when Smokingun broke the pins on his Colt shooting 777 powder ...I`ve shot my Remingtons with the same charge of 777 many times and never had a problem ....but I wouldn`t use it in my Colts .

Go ahead Mykeal post your findings ........we know you are a shooter collector .......your results will be interesting .

Last edited by sundance44s; January 18, 2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old January 18, 2010, 07:34 AM   #87
Raider2000

Sundance44s, I tend to agree with you in your info, both Colt's & Remington Designs are very solid revolvers with their own faults & it is up to the shooter to accept those faults as they are & learn to shoot them accordingly.
Old January 18, 2010, 07:36 AM   #88
shafter

I think this thread is going way off course.

I think it would likely work just fine for self defense. I wouldn't want it for hunting or 4-legged threats though.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:28 AM   #89
sundance44s

In all fareness to both designs ..there is a weakness in the Remington design you never hear much about and might not notice unless you do alot of shooting ........this may or may not be a problem with the originals but in my testing all of the Itailian made Remingtons .
The poor hardness of the cylinder pin allows for gas cutting on the pin where the face of the cylinder meets the frame window .
I have had one cut completely into on one of my older Remingtons and had to replace the pin .
this pic is of one that has shot less than 500 rounds .

I admit I do shoot my Remingtons more than twice as much as I do my Colts ...but I have never noticed a problem with the Arbor being gas cut this bad .
Old January 18, 2010, 08:35 AM   #90
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
I think this thread is going way off course.

I think it would likely work just fine for self defense. I wouldn't want it for hunting or 4-legged threats though.
If it's the size of a Bear then you're right but a mountain lion or smaller animal that may become a threat while in the woods then they are perfectly suited for that defence as well.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:38 AM   #91
Raider2000

Sundance44s:
He he, I've made it a normal occurence to replace my cylinder pins on my Remington copies about once every 1500 - 2000 rounds.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:49 AM   #92
sundance44s

Raider have you ever tried to harden one of the cylinder pins before useing it .
This is something I mean to try ...but the price of the pins isn`t that expenicve and its been easyer to just to replace instead of addressing the problem with a fix .
Raider you are right one with my findings on the cylinder pin replacement on my Remingtons ...that is real life info ...facts ..
After all the Italian made guns are made of soft steel ...and we accept it .
I have never owned one of the Spanish made Remingtons ...but have heard they are made from harder steel .
Smokingun owns 2 of them and can probally answer this question for us .

Guys we could start a new thread on this subject and probally should ...
alot of us here do alot of shooting these cap & ballers and know when loaded right can be as dependable as a cartridge revolver ...so I chose this thread for this posting ...
If it were all I had ...I would have no problem defending myself with any of my Colts or Remington cap & ball revolvers .
The thing is ...if it is your choice ...shoot often ...learn the gun ...

Last edited by sundance44s; January 18, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old January 18, 2010, 10:23 AM   #93
Gator_Weiss

Anyone in here shoot Walker Revolvers?

I am looking at an Italian, color case hardened frame, new in the box, unfired, at one of half-dozen favorite gun shops for $325.00 out the door. Any input on the price?
Old January 18, 2010, 10:55 AM   #94
sundance44s

Gator ...one question ...who made the gun you are looking at and is it the 1858 Remington model.
if it is the 1858 Remington.
If it is Uberti made that is a good price . Uberti made price for that one is around 350.00 most places .
If it is made my Pietta ..You can beat that price at Cabelas .
Cabelas does not sell the Uberti made 1858 Remington ...only the Pietta made .
The Pietta made is 319.00 at Cabelas
Old January 21, 2010, 02:00 PM   #95
Rachen

People also ask the question if a BP gun can be loaded indefintely. Of course it can. BP is stable, and as long as the chambers are sealed, nothing can deteriorate BP. After all, black powder is a type of biomass fuel, made of all organic, all "green" ingredients. Unlike smokeless, there are no chemical bonds that can break down over time. I have left my 1858s loaded for almost a year at max, and they worked fine.

Which reminds me, when I was living in Shanghai, there is a general purpose antibiotic called Cefradine which everybody uses for, from mild bronchial infections and ear infections to cholera. Cefradine is sold over the counter and has no expiration date on it. Ten year old packages which are sealed and protected from sunlight, water, etc... are just as effective as newer production
Old January 26, 2010, 06:10 PM   #96
Gator_Weiss

It is the walker colt revolver - the big boy of the BP/C&B

To answer your question -

I am looking at a .44 Walker Colt Revolver - color case hardened steel frame, new in the box, unfired, at 325.00. It is the Italian. Feels solid enough. Heavy sucker, lots of powder capacity in the cylinder.

ANOTHER QUESTION:

I was told by a Ranger that the Walker Revolver was actually designed to be carried in a holster that attached only to the saddle, (not the hip) and Rangers carried more than one Walker Revolver on the saddle. One Ranger battle tactic was to ride forward as a squad, firing revolvers rapidly as possible to decimate an objective. I am told that Some of the Rangers had as many as 4 Walker Revolvers attached to holsters on the saddle. Some Rangers favored shotguns over riflles in addition to the Walker revolvers.

Until repeating cartridge rifles were available in number, the Walker Revolver supplied some hard hitting rapid fire power. Ten rangers firing 12 shots of rapid 44. caliber fire at the same target probably do lots of damage. With 120 lead balls flying at them, the enemy either died immediatley or ran like hell from the scene.

THE QUESTION: Did Mr. Walker design that elongated cylinder in order to load TWO balls into each chamber, or did he do it to provide more BLACK POWDER behind a single ball or slug?
Old January 26, 2010, 06:26 PM   #97
simonkenton

You know, I never thought of that.
Two balls in one cylinder. That would be a fantastic load in a close range gun battle.
How many grains of powder would fit under two balls in the Walker?
Old January 26, 2010, 06:30 PM   #98
fineredmist

Sam Colt and Capt. Walker designed the WALKER to fire conical bullets as the primary load and round ball as a alternative load. The WALKER will hold approx. 55 - 60 grains of powder with either bullet. The WALKER was the most powerful handgun in the world till the introduction of the .45acp cartridge. The WALKER is probably the most interesting BP revolver you will ever fire. When you watch one being fired you get the impression that it is brutal to the shooter but it is not. The distintive sound, the muzzle flash and the smoke make it what it is, a hand cannon. The 4.5 lb. weight and the overall design reduce the recoil to .38 spl. level. Once you shoot one you will want one. There is not another handgun that compares to THE WALKER and you can take that from a 2 WALKER owner.
Old January 27, 2010, 04:12 PM   #99
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineredmist
Sam Colt and Capt. Walker designed the WALKER to fire conical bullets as the primary load and round ball as a alternative load. The WALKER will hold approx. 55 - 60 grains of powder with either bullet. The WALKER was the most powerful handgun in the world till the introduction of the .45acp cartridge.
The Walker revolver was the most powerful revolver till the .357 Magnum cartridge was developed & used in handguns not the .45ACP.

Walker is capable of upwords of 1200fps. 455 ft. lbs. with a ball.
.45 ACP is only 835 fps. 355 ft. lbs. with a standard military ball load.
Old January 27, 2010, 04:57 PM   #100
fineredmist

I stand corrected, thank you for clearing that up.