The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2002, 05:14 AM   #1
New_comer

My dad gave me his Remington 870...

Hi, all!

Last night, my dad turned over to me his 30+ year old Remington 870, a beautiful piece with a 6-shot mag tube, 20" (?) barrel and wood stock and foregrip. It hasn't been shot often, maybe once about 6-7 years ago, but it is regularly wipe cleaned/oiled. It needs some reblueing here and there, but otherwise in beautiful shape.

My question is, would it be ok if i use this firearm immediately for sport shooting in IPSC without having it detail-checked by a gunsmith? Are there any simple do-it-yourself tricks that i should do first so i could shoot this often with complete confidence in its operation. Your comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

New_comer

USP9F, Remington 870

"It not in the size of the thing, it's how you use it..."
Old January 30, 2002, 07:11 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats on your 870, I was given my first 870 around 1958 by my father also. Someday the kids will get at least one 870 each.

You may have seen me preach the gospel of having a gunsmith go over any old guns before firing. Mostly this pertains to stuff more than a half century or so old. The first 870 appeared in 1950, and few if any unabused 870 ever gave trouble, so a smith check is not crucial.

Having a smith check it out while he's cleaning it might be a good idea, tho. My hunch is nobody's EVER dropped the trigger group and bold assembly out, right?

As for mods, leave it alone for now. Shoot it plenty, and after several cases of ammo and lots of fun you'll have a better idea of what will help and what will merely remove cash from your wallet with a soft sucking sound.

DO make sure the stock fits.
Old January 30, 2002, 07:49 AM   #3
Fred Hansen

What Dave said. Congrats!
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old January 30, 2002, 05:01 PM   #4
Coronach

What Dave said. The only thing I would add is don't ever sell it. You will regret it if you do. It is a piece of your family's history (large or small), and that makes it worth 10x whatever you could get for it.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old February 2, 2002, 03:05 AM   #5
New_comer

Quote:
The only thing I would add is don't ever sell it.
Oh no! Selling is definitely not an option. I want my son to also enjoy owning this fine firearm.

You're correct, DaveMcC. No one's ever dismantled the gun since my father acquired it in the early 70's. I also noticed this morning while I was taking the stencil of the serial # for the change of ownership/licence papers, that it is named "Wingmaster" with 18" barrel. The action is still very crisp, but it does need rebluing. The rubber stock pad is already rather stiff, so i think it's got to be replaced. Other that these, it's in fine working order.

Funny, but it doesn't look like any of the Wingmaster models I saw at the Remington website. It looks much like the 870 Express synthetic,

but with wood stock and foregrips. I guess they don't make them like they used to...
Also What ammo would you recommend for me to use? Is it capable of digesting magnum loads?

I can't wait to try it at the range.
Thanks a lot!

New_comer

USP9F, Remington 870

"It not in the size of the thing, it's how you use it..."
Old February 2, 2002, 03:10 AM   #6
cuerno de chivo

Try Remington's Law Enforcement site

"Funny, but it doesn't look like any of the Wingmaster models I saw at the Remington website. It looks much like the 870 Express synthetic"

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotgun/870p.htm
Old February 2, 2002, 08:13 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

On the bbl, it should state what size shells it will take. Use those or SHORTER, Many old 870s are 2 3/4" only, no big disadvantage. If all the deer and geese I've shot with 2 3/4" shells were lined up, it'd reach Clarksville.

It sounds like you've the old "Riot" gun. Maybe your father bought it for HD. Should make a great quail gun with the proper plug. As for "Serious" work, well nigh perfect.Most of these were either Cylinder or the so called "Police cylinder", actually a skeet choke.

Pachmyer makes a great pad called the Decellerator. It'll work well on your heirloom.
Old February 4, 2002, 09:46 AM   #8
illuminatus99

I also inherited one, but it's only got a 4 round tube, it's a great gun and I'm positive you'll be pleased with it's performance.