The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 15, 2015, 08:54 PM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, a 1911 type pistol with an internal extractor made and tuned properly should eject a live round through the port, whether the magazine is inserted or not and whether there is ammunition in the magazine or not.

Jim
Old April 15, 2015, 09:03 PM   #27
cslinger

I don't think I have ever had a pistol not eject a live round as long as slide is worked vigorously enough. Now just locking it back with little force then yeah you are gonna get a trickle out or down through the well but yanked back as if to clear, I have never had a problem and I have shot, owned ....... Well we will just say a fair sample size.
Old April 16, 2015, 08:23 AM   #28
campingnights

I think the issue is a basic disrespect for customers and trimming costs to make as much profit as possible for stockholders and upper management. Not just in the gun industry either. I have a Cimarron 357 that left the factory with a flawed and jamming rotation that I had to grind down myself. I also have a Henry Big Boy 357 that when I emailed EVERYONE on the company website, including supervisors, just to ask what they recommended to use on the brass frame, and none of them even bothered to answer. I won't do business with either company again. The only solution I can think of is to use this forum to warn each other away from companies that disrespect us, in the hope that when their bottom line is affected that company might just wise up and treat their customers better.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old April 16, 2015, 04:08 PM   #29
jmohme

"psyfly

I suspect simple economics: It has become cheaper to fix the occasional (perhaps even rare) problem than to QC them all."

I believe you are correct.
I used to be in the heavy truck dealership network and I know of one brand of trucks in particular that would be delivered new to the dealerships and had to be pushed into the shop. I witnessed this on more than one occasion as one of their dealerships was a block away from where I worked.

It turned out that this manufacturer would roll a truck off the assembly line and if it did not run, it got shipped to the selling dealer where a warranty claim would be opened and the trouble addressed there.

I personally thought that practice presented the wrong image of the brand and felt fortunate to be representing a different brand that did not do this.
Old April 17, 2015, 06:59 AM   #30
stubbicatt

Quote:
Per Dragline45: That isn't a defect at all, many pistols will not reliably eject live rounds by hand, and the rounds will often tumble down through the mag well. I have had probably half a dozen pistols that would do this, and none of them had ejection problems when live firing. The slide must be pulled straight back with enough force to eject live rounds, if they don't eject it's human error.
LOL. Heya Bud, I've got just the pistol for you. I'm sure you would enjoy it as much as I do.

I'd really like to see you clear a live round from this POS using "enough force" to make it eject through the port. Fact is, this pistol is a roach. It is defective, Ruger won't stand behind its product, and this pistol is going on the block next weekend. This is the last Ruger I will purchase.

Last edited by stubbicatt; April 17, 2015 at 07:07 AM.