The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1
homer3006

Newbe 30-06

Hello,
My first post I've been reloading 12@20ga shotshells for 15+ years. I want to get started reloading 30-06 shells. I have Winchester brass and want to load 180 grain Hornady Interlock SST's for Deer and Elk. I am a huge fan of Hodgdon and IMR powders. What powders and primers do I need?

I'm going super slow to start with a basic Lee handloader, I have all the other stuff I need, scale, calipers, funnels, loading block, mallet ect.

A couple good hunting recipes w/FPS & pressure would be awesome!! Thanks in advance
Old March 9, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
William T. Watts

IMR4350 with Mag primers and 180gr interlocks should be a good combo, look at www.imrpowder.com this website should give you a good idea of what to expect. William
Old March 9, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3
chris in va

I'd recommend you at least get a Lee Hand Press, easier to work with. Mine has seen thousands of reloads in five calibers. They only run about $35.
Old March 9, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4
rockfish1

I use the H4895 with CCI large rifle primers, but check your manuals to be safe.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Hawg

+1 on IMR4350.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:21 PM   #6
dacaur

One of the first rules of reloading is DON'T use recipes you come across on the internet!. Take powder suggestions? Yes. Try others loads? ONLY if you can find them within the "safe" range in a printed book or a MFG website.

If, like me, you like hornady bullets, pick up a hornady reloading manual, or even just go take a pic of the 30-06 page with your phone, thats what I did before I bought mine . Since you know what bullet you want to use that makes it easer. I like to pick powders that are in the "middle of the pack". The powders are listed in the manual according to burn speed, with the higher ones being faster burning, and getting slower as you go down the page.... IMR 4350 is toward the top, which, IMO, isnt good for a heavy for caliber bullet. (180gr). Hodgton 4350 is more toward the middle, and would be good pick (again, IMO), as long as you can get it locally. Hodgton 4895 is too fast for a 180gr bullet. I find that I normally cant get all the powders listed locally, so I pick one that I can to buy. Buying powder over the net isnt something I will do, the $25 hazmat fee wipes out any cost savings, unless you have a huge order, or a bunch of people ordering at once.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:25 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
I'd recommend you at least get a Lee Hand Press, easier to work with. Mine has seen thousands of reloads in five calibers. They only run about $35.
Get two (or 3, if you crimp in a separate operation) ..and you wont have to change the dies when you do load developement at the shooting bench.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

You will be much better off with a loading press of some kind.

Check the pawn shops, the "moneysaver" papers, the net and buy a used quality press and you will never be sorry.

AS per powder, Get a number of loading manuels in front of you, look to see which powders are giving the highest velocity and if listed the best groups and that is a good place to start for powder selection.

There are many good older powders, BUT also a bunch of new and possibly better powders that are very good.

Will a critter know the difference between loads of 2 - 300fps difference? Nope, not with a properly placed shot!

But your shooting a 30/06, why shoot it at .308 velocities? If that is what you want, go buy a .308 and same some money on powder and brass.

H & IMR have good powders!!!!!!, but check out the Reloader powders such as RL 19 & 22.

AS said on many posts, let your rifle talk to you. With proper testing proceedures, if you liston, it will tell you what powder it likes.

Just a tip, don't mix brands of brass and better yet, use brass of all one brand & lot number.

BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!! and enjoy.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Dearu Ol'Coot
Old March 9, 2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Newbe 30-06

Different powders for different actions. What is yours? homer3006 >Semi-auto, Bolt,?

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 10, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old March 10, 2012, 07:59 AM   #10
bdhuntr

I love IMR-4350 in my 165 grain handloads, but I have always used CCI-200LR primers with great success. A 3-shot 0.447" group at 100 yards with the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip out of a Winchester Model 70 Ranger .30-06 bears that out. It has been glass-bedded and the trigger adjusted to 3 lbs, but that load is accurate, as it averages about 0.75" any day of the week. And a similar loading for my Savage Model 110E is pretty close- it averages an inch.