The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Arizona Smithshooter

Alliant AR-Comp Powder

I have been using Reloader 10X powder to load 55 grain bullets for use in my M&P 15 with very good results. Last time I went to buy more powder there wasn't any Reloader 10X, but there was a new powder, the Alliant AR-Comp powder. It says it was designed for use in AR rifles. The recipe states that for a 55 grain bullet in a rifle with a 24 inch barrel 25.6 grains of powder is recommended. My rifle has a 16" barrel so will 25.6 still be OK? Has anyone else had experience using this new powder??
Old February 27, 2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Jimro

Alliant posts a "recipe" load. Treat it as a MAX LOAD. Reduce by 10% and work up incrementally.

Barrel length isn't really important except when it comes to gas tube position. If you have a carbine gas system you might experience high port pressure and need to back off or switch powders. However, considering that AR-Comp is marketed for ARs, I would expect that you will have an uneventful load development.

Haven't used it myself, but I bought 16 pounds of 2000-MR for my heavy 223 loads.

Jimro