The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2011, 02:54 PM   #1
cwok

DiamondBack 380 semi-auto

I rented a DiamondBack 380 to try out about four months ago -- lots of jams, really lots and lots -- with the cheap ammo I was using that day.
Have't been back to try again though I keep meaning to -- I reallly liked a lot of things about the weapon (sights/weight/accuracy [at 7-yards]).

When I did some research I found a lot of negative comments on various forums and of course some "mine works fine" comments.
At another range this weekend I talked to guy using one (bought around Xmass) and he was happy -- and no problems with jams while I was there.

Has anyone had experience, first/second hand, with a DiamondBack purchased since the middle of 2010 ?
I'm willing to assume a relatively new gun could have had problems in production and the manufacturer Might have correctd them (well maybe Hope instead of assume).

If it had manufacturing issues - its possible to have built poor ones and then to have improved the process and produce better ones.
If its just a bad design - then there much less hope for a change that doesn't involve so many changes that the product would probably be reintroduced with a new name.
Old February 22, 2011, 05:02 PM   #2
BOBA FETT

maybee it was the cheap ammo you were using....when you are at the range shooting one good thing to do is clean some of the residue off the feed ramp from time to time...
Old February 23, 2011, 02:19 AM   #3
Mosin44az

There's a whole forum devoted to this pistol, sounds somewhat affiliated with the manufacturer, but even then, LOTS of problems listed, sounds quite finicky about ammo. When I read about parts of the slide shearing off I stopped reading.

Why think of this when you can get an LCP?
Old February 23, 2011, 03:36 AM   #4
gyvel

An acquaintance of mine purchased one, then purchased a spare (factory) magazine from Gunbroker.

The gun worked 100% of the time with the original mag that came with it, but wouldn't feed at all with the spare mag purchased on line.

I examined them both very carefully and found that the purchased mag, even though it was 100% factory (made in Italy), was about 1/32" shorter than the one that came with the gun.

I want to qualify this by saying that this is the only Diamondback .380 that I have actually fired and examined firsthand, and that this could be an isolated incident. However, if there is a quality control problem with the magazine supplier, that would account for a lot of the compalints about failures to feed.

The magazines themselves were very slick and quality-wise appeared to be the same quality as MecGars.
Old February 23, 2011, 12:02 PM   #5
franco45

I owned a DB 380 for almost a year. It went back to the factory twice. Initially I had both fte and trigger reset issues. After the first trip the fte issues were gone. I experienced trigger reset issues (just enough to not carry the pistol) until about 200 rounds after I got it back. Then it started to happen every other magazine. I sent it back. They sent me a new gun and I immediately traded it for an LCP. No problems with the LCP
Old February 23, 2011, 02:10 PM   #6
The Great Mahoo

My dad bought a Diamondback sometime last summer or so. I've shot a few rounds from it and generally liked it. I can't say I've seen or heard of it jamming or even a hiccup. That said, I don't think he shoots it much, nor do I know what ammo he uses.

Based on my limited experience, seems nice enough.