The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old June 23, 2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Lionken07

This is the reason why I always shoot in the farthest left lane whenever I can

So I was at the range with a buddy. The guy to our right keep saying sorry to the dude on his right. So I look to see why and it so happens that his casing keep on hitting the dudes head. It seems that he have no way to go since all the other lanes are taken. :barf:

this ever happen to you?
Old June 23, 2006, 11:12 AM   #2
silicon wolverine

I once tagged my brother in law with a case from my mini 14 on the side of his head. Cut him open about 2" long. bled like a stuck pig.

SW
Old June 23, 2006, 11:45 AM   #3
hksigwalther

IMO, it is a part of shooting (in some places). Accept it if you are in the receiving end or move to a different stall. No reason to get angry about it. The shooter on your right is kind enough to apologize (as I would) to the shooter to his right but isn't really necessary. I also try to find a shooting position or object (like my toolbox when I'm shooting off of a bench) to prevent it from happening to the shooter on my right but accept that it will happen and that some folks aren't as courteous.
Old June 23, 2006, 11:55 AM   #4
El Barto

I haven't been hit by another person's ammo, but I almost hit myself in the eye with flying brass from my K31. I say almost because I was wearing protective glasses and I will continue to do so.

First time I took my ex to a range I explained to her that there is the possibility of hot flying brass and if she gets hit, the best thing to do is to be calm and I would help her. I said whatever you do, don't jump around waving the gun.

Well about thirty minutes into her first run, I watch a hot .22 case bounce off the partition and under her collar. She calmly kept the gun pointed downrange and was in the process of puttin it down when I plucked the brass off her neck. It all happened in a couple of seconds but she has a nasty blister afterwards.
Old June 23, 2006, 07:44 PM   #5
orionengnr

wearing a ball cap helps

to deflect a lot of incoming brass. Having your shirt buttoned helps too. I usually pick the far right lane so my brass doesn't hinder someone else; my shirt, ball cap and eye protection will likely deflect brass from anyone to my left.
Old June 24, 2006, 11:32 AM   #6
leadcounsel

Basically, if there is a partition between lanes, the person on the left needs only to step forward abit so the shells strike the partition. If you're in the field, just step over or back a foot or two.
Old June 24, 2006, 12:34 PM   #7
JoshB

It's happened to me plenty of times. I'm not really concerned about brass hitting me - after all it's pretty harmless. I used to think that wearing safety glasses were a bit much [we generally don't use them at ranges in the Marines], untill one time at a civilian range a casing bounced off my glasses. I was also present one time when the RO cought one in the eye. Fortunatly, he turned out alright.
Old June 24, 2006, 03:21 PM   #8
Rangefinder

Loose collared shirts that are tucked in aren't my best friend at times. Had a friend send several hot brass right at me from a burst. Couldn't have done it better if he'd planned it--two hit me in the neck and went right down the front. I think I would have danced around less if it was a mad bumble bee instead.

Slinging brass just goes along with everything else. *shrug* Oh well. Sometimes you're giving, sometimes you're recieving.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old June 24, 2006, 06:45 PM   #9
Dust_Devil

Beware... Anyone on my right when I'm shooting my Mini-14!!
That rifle really kicks out the brass.

There is one range I go to that provides portable "walls" made up of PVC tube and screen netting that you can put up next to you on your bench or table to stop your flying casings.

Brass catchers are also a pretty good idea if you can find one made for your rifle.

Overall, if you know that your gun really throws out the hot brass, it would only be considerate of you as the shooter who is going to be shooting along with others on the range who could be on your right to have something prepared to set up such as a brass catcher so not to disturb your neighbor shooting on your right.
Old June 25, 2006, 12:41 AM   #10
pdkflyguy

My Walther P22 has a tendency to kick brass to about the 5 o'clock position. I didn't know this until I was showing my wife how to shoot it, and standing behind her to the right. Needless to say, I always stand to the left now.
Walther P22 .22LR
Old June 25, 2006, 08:03 AM   #11
dfaugh

Actually, I usually try to stay to the right. I'd rather get hit (which has happened) than to hit someone else. At the range I usually shoot its not much of a problem as benches (on the rifle range) are fairly far apart, and its rarely crowded enough that you have to get real close. The one gun I have that's downright dangerous to others is my SKS-M, which will fling brass anywhere in an arc between 1 and 5 o'clock, and between 10 and 20 feet! So I never fire it if there's anyone on my right.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old June 26, 2006, 10:15 PM   #12
snolden

I try to tweak my FAL so it drops the brass within a foot or so. Once it gets dirty and I have to turn the gas up, it can shoot 20 feet, but it usually behaves for 200 rounds or so.

My pistols? Who cares, it aint that hot nor is it that heavy.
Old June 26, 2006, 11:55 PM   #13
ffxmike

I had a guy at an outdoor range yell at me one time. had been shooting a bolt action 22 rifle, and switched to my G17. naturally, the brass goes farther, and was landing around him (didn't hit him)

Him & his buddy yell at me to move, because I shouldn't shoot a pistol there, it could send brass near them. told them "no problem" and cased up my g17.

Pulled out my beretta storm, and continued to do the same thing.

No partitions, I've been hit by other peoples brass, I accept it as a risk you take shooting at that particular range. Had they asked nicely instead of yelling at me I probably would have just gone back to the .22.

yes, I know this will make a lot of people on this board think I'm a jerk for what I did and I'm okay with that.
Old June 30, 2006, 09:20 AM   #14
Syntax360

I also think it is something that all shooters need to accept. I hate when someone gets rude about it as if they didn't expect flying brass to be an issue when they came to the range on a busy Saturday.

I went with my buddy once to the local indoor range and it was just the two of us. Another shooter came in and was on the lane next to us. I guess he was a little upset by all my friend's brass, so he moved 5 lanes over - problem solved, right? Then my buddy gets to shooting his FiveseveN and the guy 5 lanes over starts yelling because the 5.7 brass keeps flying down to his lane, ricocheting off the stall wall and pegging him in the head. I could hardly contain my laughter. My buddy apologized, but the guy was really mad and packed up his stuff and left. Cry baby.
Old July 3, 2006, 05:09 PM   #15
CrazyLarry

When about 17 a M1A thumped me pretty good with empty casings
lol I like that rifle so much though it was like a kiss
Old July 5, 2006, 01:40 PM   #16
Lutefisk

Good post.

In addition to the flying brass, I've noticed that an inexperienced right- handed shooter will more often accidentally cover a person to his right while clearing jams, talking to his buddies, putting down a cigarette etc. I recently warned a fellow club member and the rangemaster about a young fellow who was shooting with his right and checking his target with binoculars(!) with his left while still holding his pistol. Might I add he was at 15 yards!!
Old July 5, 2006, 02:31 PM   #17
mtnbkr

A couple years ago, I was shooting at a crowded national forest range with my brother. The gun was throwing brass on a couple to our right, who complained to us about it. Since there were no other open lanes, I offered to switch positions with them so they wouldn't get hit. They refused and continued to complain until they left a half hour later.

Chris
Old July 5, 2006, 02:41 PM   #18
stephen426

I took my best friend and his wife shooting one time. She was wearing a tank top that showed a little cleavage. One casing bounced off the partition and landed right in her cleavage. She turned around (with gun in hand) and covered half the people in the range with the muzzle. I grabbed her hands and pointed the gun upwards while she fished out the hot shell casing. (Lucky there were no accidental discharges) Needless to say, I don't think she will ever expose any cleavage at the range again.
Old July 6, 2006, 06:11 PM   #19
LSU12ga

leftys have it bad

i shoot right handed guns lefthanded.

with my shotgun, if i dont rack hard enough, say i just fired my last shell, and it slowy pops out, i get a hot shotshell on my arm or leg.

And when i am firign fast i get hot shells flying infront of me.
Old July 7, 2006, 11:09 AM   #20
vts

My wife got a shell down her bra once. Poor thing got a littel burn on both breast.
I had to kiss both spots allll night to make her feel better
Old July 7, 2006, 07:29 PM   #21
marlboroman84

The range I frequent the stall are pretty close together and have open-topped partitions. I'm used to catching some brass now,I've still been able to shoot consistently with the guy next to me flinging 9mm casing at me like there was no tomorrow, but Ma always said I was hard headed. I think the funniest thing that ever happened though is me and my buddy were shooting and I get done and step off the lane and he is laughing hysterically. I ask him what's so funny and he says check your pocket. I had a .45 casing go straight in the back of my jeans and land on top of my wallet.
Old July 8, 2006, 06:27 PM   #22
silicon wolverine

The absolute worst is a CETME with a new ejector. I put a new one in mine and the brass was flying 60-70 feet. I shoot left handed and the first one i fired clipped the end the my nose and drew blood.

SW
Old July 13, 2006, 06:39 PM   #23
castnblast

Ever wonder why ranges require eye protection??? You guessed it!!!
Old August 2, 2006, 09:19 AM   #24
Tronny

the range nearest to me has big walls in between every other bench. Suppose it's for being with a shooting buddy you dont have a wall in between the two. Theres always plenty of spots open to spread out, too.
Have an SKS that launches brass pretty far, it will hit the wall and bounce around the cubby a few times. been tagged by a few on my hands and face. No harm done, it's all part of the experience!
Old August 2, 2006, 10:34 AM   #25
Doubletaptap

I would suggest folks with guns that toss brass get a brass catcher. I got one for my AR for 9.95 and it works fine.