The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2006, 03:00 PM   #1
caz223

Tall bench, low ceiling dillon press questions.

I currently own a 550 with the strong mount and bullet tray.
I'd like to upgrade to a 650 or get a case feeder for my 550, but I'm not sure it will fit without hacking it.
I made this bench for me after having all of the pieces and measuring it exactly, researching.
I did it perfectly, placing the ball handle exactly at my right shoulder. I stand up to load, I use powders that fill the cases 1/2 to 3/4 full, and look into the cases to verify powder drop.
I can load 2 hours at 450+ per hour without fatigue of any kind.
I have 6 inches of space directly above the powder measure because of an overhead heat pipe. To the right of this pipe, I have 12 inches of usable height, then the ceiling beams. Any chance of me installing a 550 case feeder or 650 with case feeder on my bench? The bench is supported by the wall studs the entire height of the bench, and supported by a framework of 2x4s anchored in the cement, with 2x4s running up to support the front of the bench, with 2x4s as crossbracing. I'm not modifying the bench. It's perfect.

I don't see any way of making it work.......
Any ideas?
Old March 26, 2006, 03:17 PM   #2
caz223

Maybe getting rid of the RCBS partner next to it, and low mounting a 550 with case feeder next to it? I have to go re-measure the ceiling again......
It would be nice to stay 550 because I got a dozen of those quick change kits, but I can certainly afford a dozen or so 650 toolheads if I had to switch to a 650.
(Can't do that, either.)
There's a big return air duct that lowers the ceiling another 8 inches on the right side of the bench.
I'm not sure I'd want to low mount my 550 and hack the case feeder to make it work, only to have to whole thing load awkward after I spend all that time and money......
Is the 650 taller than the 550?
Old March 26, 2006, 05:30 PM   #3
bigautomatic

I don't know about the height of a 650, but I do know that ductwork can always be changed and still function properly if done correctly.
Old March 27, 2006, 07:37 AM   #4
caz223

alas, I'm renting.
Old March 27, 2006, 08:14 AM   #5
InSoMNiaX23

If you won't alter the bench, don't want to mount it lower on the bench, and can't modify the duct work, it sounds like you are out of options. Personally, I think that lowering your bench would be the most logical and least laborious choice.
Old March 27, 2006, 10:44 AM   #6
caz223

I guess I'm loading on the 550 until another option presents itself.
I've been getting some hits in brian enos' forum about modifying a 550 case feeder, and attaching it to the wall. I'm looking for a house currently, and it's my goal to buy a house with provisions for loading, shooting, and other hobby indulgences by 2010. I guess I can hold out 4 more years.

As for modifying the ducting, it's not possible. The ducting goes through holes in the support beams for the entire house. It was built as a crawl space house, and a basement was added.
Old March 27, 2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Edward429451

Quote:
alas, I'm renting.
Singlewall pipe & 90's are relativly cheap and could be put back to original when you move. Or there's flex-duct too. A Dremel with cut off wheel will cut the pipe (2" or so) off the beam so you can get a 90 on there.
Old March 27, 2006, 12:46 PM   #8
SDLAW

Is it possible for you to mount a board under the cross braces below the existing top? That would gain you 3 1/2" plus the thickness of the top. If you use lag bolts you can always remove it later.
Old March 27, 2006, 01:03 PM   #9
caz223

All very good ideas.
I should mention that there isn't just one duct, there's several, so I'd have to go under the existing pipe, or reroute that, as well as the others.
If it was simply rerouting one duct, I'd do it in a minute.
Lowering the bench and that would get me some, but the net effect is the same. I'd suspect that to make me happy, I'd need to build an entirely new bench. I'm not ready to do that, since I'll be moving in a couple of years anyway.

I'll hang tough with the 550, thanks for all the responses.

The mods everyone sugested might allow the press to FIT in the space, but would make no allowances to have operation room, like to add brass to the bin, etc. There just isn't enough space.
I wish there were a lower profile 550, one similar in height to a lee turret, but everyone builds them tall.
Old March 28, 2006, 02:21 AM   #10
caz223

HA!
It looks like I'm getting a 650, they can be used with a strong mount that's 2" shorter.
I'll buy a 650 without a case feeder. Proly order a case feeder next month. Then I'll have to mount it on a wall stud, I saw a pic in the brian enos forums about a guy who chopped his 650 in similar fashion, and it's 35" off the bench, but the high part can be swiveled around to clear, and mounted in a high spot to avoid vent pipes, ceiling joists, etc.
Old March 28, 2006, 02:45 PM   #11
caz223

I just did a guesstimate on the costs to upgrade to a 650, and the price out to dillon will be almost $2000. I'll get some money back from the sale of the 550 and conversion kits, but it still seems kinda steep. The dozen caliber conversion kits are the pricey parts. The press itself, the casefeeder, the toolheads, etc are not that much money.
I'm still tempted to check out the hornady LNLAP, but midways site is down right now, so I guess I'll have to wait.
If I get a LNL AP, I suspect I can get it for free by just selling off my dillon stuff......
Does anyone know if they sell the case feeder adaptor parts individually?
The major thing that's stopping me right at this second is that hornady dies are basically required at the crimp station, my lee factory crimp dies would crush the ejector wire against the shell plate, at least that's what I hear.
Still leaning toward the 650, my tax return money will be here any day now......