The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1
PPQ226guy

Thinking of picking up a G20...

Hi all,

Thinking about adding a G20 to the rotation. Other than ammo cost/availability, any drawbacks to this pistol? I would occasionally carry it for SD as well, despite the size. Any feedback, pro or con would be much appreciated. I assume the pistol is durable/reliable as Glocks tend to be...
Old July 8, 2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Dan-O

You could do a lot worse.

If you don't already reload, a 10mm is a great excuse to get into it (reloading).
Old July 8, 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
PPQ226guy

Thanks! I was thinking about the reloading aspect as well. BTW, anyone know if the G20 Gen 4 has the extraction issues of the 9mm gen 4 models?
Old July 8, 2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Dan-O

None that I've heard.
Old July 8, 2013, 09:56 PM   #5
shrewd

The gen 4 extraction issues are pretty much only for the 9mm models.
Old July 8, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6
PPQ226guy

Thanks again, All. Now to add to the mix, would you trade a PPQ M1 for it?
Old July 9, 2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Smit

Not sure about the trade as I don't know how much that model of PPQ is worth, but I can add my 2 cents on the G-20 (mine anyway):

Totally flawless thus far. I have an early gen so the grip on the thing is huge, by I have large hands so I enjoy it. I know the new ones have slimmer grip profiles which are also comfortable. I also really like the 10mm round, but as said before, can get very expensive to shoot unless you reload. I would get one if the timing/money was right. I also slapped on some decal grips. Looks nice, shoots great, and is a fun pistol.
Old July 9, 2013, 03:59 AM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
Now to add to the mix, would you trade a PPQ M1 for it?
No x1000.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 9, 2013, 08:28 AM   #9
PPQ226guy

^^^^^^ Aside from ammo availability/pricing, would you share you thoughts on why?
Old July 9, 2013, 09:11 AM   #10
jmr40

The G-20 is one of my favorites, but not for everyone. For human threats it is really no better than a 9mm, 40, or 45 when loaded with good ammo. Where the G-20 and 10mm round shine is with hot loaded 180-200 gr ammo that is suitable for 4 legged threats.

Ammo can be a little harder to find, but is no more expensive than 45. I buy all of my practice ammo from these guys. www.georgia-arms.com For me it is easy since they are less than 40 miles from home and sell at all local gunshows. I realise it is a little more difficult for others, but the ammo is there at reasonable prices. You just have to do a little more work to get it.

My G-20 is most often used when camping/hiking in bear country and loaded with 200 gr DoubleTap ammo that chronos 1315 fps from my gun. This is just short of 44 mag performance from short barrels and matches or beats 357 performance from 4" or shorter barrels.

Even in the back country human threats are more likely. My G-20 gives me all of the advantages of a semi-auto if human threats are the issue combined with magnum revolver perfomance for larger threats. If you travel in back country I think the G-20 or 29 is a better alternative than magnum revolvers. If you don't travel in those places you probably don't need one. Even with my G-20, I'm far more likely to leave it at home and carry either a G19 or G-26 if there is no possibility of large predators where I'm hiking or camping.

Here is a photo of my G-20 alongside my 3" S&W 629. The Glock is 3/4 lb lighter and 1" shorter. Chronograph readings show that when fired from the 3" barrel, 44 mag loads only offer a very slight edge in power over the 10mm Glock. Certainly not enough to justify giving up 10 rounds of ammo and having to lug around a heavier longer gun.

Old July 9, 2013, 09:13 AM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
Aside from ammo availability/pricing, would you share you thoughts on why?
Cause I'm a troll .

Because it's an M1 and they aren't being imported right now (though we had a thread here recently where supposedly they will begin importation again in 2014). For that reason and the fact that I think 9mm is enough to handle most things on two legs, I wouldn't swap one for the other. I'd try and save up for the G20.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 9, 2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Dead

Get a glock 21, plus g20 mags, 10mm conversion barrel, spring...
Old July 9, 2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Oceanbob

The Glock 20 is a great all purpose handgun. I have several G20SFs and a couple of G29s. Including a G20 Longslide for hunting and a Mech-Tech Carbine conversion unit. I am dedicated to 10MM. (and .40)

My personal opinion is you should reload if you're going to shoot the 10MM much more than casually.

Of course, reloading 10MM will involve an investment in powders (Longshot is my favorite), boolets, large pistol primers and I use new STARLINE Brass. Buy in bulk; keep good records.

Being able to run .40 is also another bonus of the G20. (as well as .357SIG and Dillon 9X25)

Those 45-10 barrels are hard to find. Stormlake sells them. Expect to modify the extractor to run acceptably.

Have fun!

Last edited by Oceanbob; July 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:11 PM   #14
loose_holster_dan

i'm with tunnel rat. i would never trade a ppq or a p226 for a glock of any model.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 9, 2013, 12:30 PM   #15
PPQ226guy

Well, I didn't trade but I did buy the G20 in FDE. Thanks for all the feedback!
Old July 9, 2013, 02:01 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

Glocking in the Free World....

If you are a new Glock pistol owner, see; www.glockbooks.com www.glockworx.com www.glockstore.com www.customizeyourglock.com www.glock.com www.boatmanbooks.com .
3 dot night sights would be a good add-on. Many like the new HD series from Trijicon.

Some say its best to keep the trigger factory stock, others like to convert it to NY-1(the New York State Police version) trigger system.
Old July 9, 2013, 02:16 PM   #17
Ruger45LC

I have a Gen4 20, it shoots very well. I'm not a rabid 10mm fanatic, but I will admit that it is a very good cartridge even if it is somewhat over hyped. I load my own which is darn near a necessity for the 10mm, but I can't complain about it much.

It is what it is I guess, nicely accurate and fun to shoot. I have a .40 barrel for it too (KKM) and it's a tack driver. Overall the 20 is a fine model, maybe not my favorite Glock, but it sure isn't the worst gun I've owned either!
Old July 9, 2013, 03:52 PM   #18
tulsamal

I always like the idea of the G20. But the grip was just too big for me to be comfortable with it.

Then the SF came out. I wanted one. They were really tough to find though. Every time I had gun money, I couldn't find one. Then something else would come along... bye, bye gun money. Then I would see a G20SF.

Then the G20 Gen 4 came out. The cycle started all over again. Nobody ever seems to actually have one when I'm got money in hand. Right now I've got money out the door for two other guns so I'm gun money poor again.

I do already have 5-6 brand new G20 G4 mags stashed away.... I'm getting one someday!

Gregg
Old July 10, 2013, 08:25 AM   #19
+1k ammo

My Father loved his, however I have never shot it. I just sent it into Glock and they upgraded to gen 3 frame and went over it.

Will be getting back in a day or two and then will test it out.

By the way, Glock customer service is top notch. They both called and emailed with questions about switching to an SF frame (which they could not do because then it would be considered a new gun) but anyway, getting new frames for G21 and G20 and all updated internals and can't wait to get them back!

Go with a Glock, but I did consult with them on using the G20 for .40, but they of course did not recommend doing and would void any warranty. I'll just keep it running 10mm.
Old July 10, 2013, 12:16 PM   #20
Stevie-Ray

I made mine a G29 for a little more packability, since I'm used to a 3" 1911. I'm spending much more time up north at my new place than I am at my previous home, so I opted for what gives me greatest confidence with larger threats, namely the 10mm. Like someone else that previously posted, my load is a Double Tap 200 gr, a full-house load, but not in any way objectionable, and quite accurate in my personal gun. It's my EDC, while up here. The G20 would be even more pleasant to shoot, but it is simply too large for EDC, for me.
Old July 10, 2013, 01:33 PM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Thanks again, All. Now to add to the mix, would you trade a PPQ M1 for it?
Yes, yes, and yes.

I would definitely do that trade.

Been trying to make my uncle sell me his G20 for a while already.