The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 13, 2005, 02:19 PM   #1
dev_null

Range Report: Desert Eagle .50AE

Man, that's a LOT of gun!

Finally busted my cherry on the Desert Eagle this morning. Went to the range for a short session since it was the first time in ages (last Summer, before the job change), with 100 rounds of .45 Blazer and a box of 20 of the .50AE. In no particular order:

* Yeah, that's a big heavy chunk of metal. I would imagine it would feel like carrying around an engine block to lug this thing for very long. However, in action it's not really noticeable, not in a negative way. As you'd expect, the inertial weight helps to handle the heavy recoil. It didn't feel heavy to shoot, just solid. And even the oversize grips weren't a problem, and I don't have the biggest hands. I would imagine it might be otherwise for someone with delicate sized hands, however.

* Yes, that's one hella cartridge. I was somewhat nervous about it, having heard scare stories of people planting the front sight in their foreheads, etc. etc., not to mention just the size of that hole in the end of the barrel is pretty impressive. So, yeah, it was stout, but not THAT bad. Certainly not as jarring as a .308 in a T/C Contender (someone had told me otherwise). I think it's safe to say that I wasn't limpwristing it, given the strain in my shoulder joint after one box. {G} This would be a good one to practice ki/chi with: "Keep weight underside; draw ki from center of earth and extend through arm to horizon..."

* For all that, it was quite accurate and I was pleased with how easy it was to control. At 30 feet, not warmed up and having never shot either this gun or this cartridge before, I was able to put 15 or so out of 20 rounds into a paper plate, and none of the rest missed the cardboard backing (about 15x24). OK, not exactly Carlos Hathcock or Rob Leatham, but for a beginner I was quite pleasantly surprised.

* Makes an impressive noise, too, not to mention the jet of flame from the barrel. Sounded as loud as the 12-guage in the other lane, and makes those sparks from the .45 seem wimpy. For that matter, after shooting 3 mags of this stuff, shooting the .45 was like nothing.

* I did have one malf, a double-feed on about the 3rd or 4th round. Cleared easily and never happened again. Not sure what the cause was.

* It's probably just as well that it's as expensive as it is punishing to shoot. Any cheaper and I'd be tempted to do more shooting than is probably good for my joints. Any less jarring and it could get pretty expensive. Did I mention this thing is FUN? (I did save my brass, in case I run into a reliable reloader or decide to get into it myself.)

* Very easy to take down and to clean. Need to find a boresnake in .50, though.

* Score: 9/10. If it was both cheaper and less punishing, it'd be a 10. As it is, no complaints whatsoever.

- 0 -
Old May 15, 2005, 09:28 PM   #2
Wraith

Sounds good.

Now that you're done with it, mind shipping in my way?

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old May 15, 2005, 10:36 PM   #3
dev_null

Maybe when I'm done playing with it.
Old May 20, 2005, 09:40 PM   #4
Jamie Young

That's a small step up from your Sig 230 isn't it?
Old May 21, 2005, 07:40 PM   #5
Kayser

Welcome to the club! Let the naysayers say what they will. Very shortly you will find yourself inventing all kinds of creative ways of justifying "just a couple more boxes" of .50 AE ammo
Old May 21, 2005, 09:05 PM   #6
dev_null

Jamie: Hey pard, long time. "That's one small step from P-232, one giant leap from the NAA mini."

Kayser: Now I have yet another excuse -- er, I mean *reason* -- to go to gun shows: I'm looking for bargains on ammo!
Old May 21, 2005, 09:12 PM   #7
Kayser

If you don't reload, now's a great time to do it. I'm a new reloader, and I'll be finishing up my "apprenticeship" with .45 ACP in a month or two. From there I plan to move on to .44 mag (just bought the barrel for the DE) and .50 AE to help feed the beast. It's just that much fun
Old May 21, 2005, 09:13 PM   #8
Jamie Young

The Desert Eagle was going to be my first pistol but I lucked out on a Colt 1991A1 ($375 NIB divorce trade in ) and it changed my tastes in pistols.

I fired one years ago (Desert Eagle that is) but haven't seen one at the range in years.

Why don't you bring it up to the PA shoot next month? Maybe it'll help me decide on a new CCW gun... Rohrbaugh R9 or Desert Eagle?
Old May 22, 2005, 09:33 AM   #9
dev_null

I appreciate the invite, Sodapop, but I'm currently in the midst of getting my house ready to sell, so I'm up to my elbows in spackle and paint (literally). Then it's hi-ho for the SW. Still trying to make up our minds between Phoenix and Austin.
Old May 22, 2005, 10:20 AM   #10
Jamie Young

Wow!!

Funny... I've gotten the same excuse from a bunch of people. Lots of people moving out of the area.

Planning on joining the Minuteman project with your AE ? I'm sure you'll stop boarder crossing with that.
Old May 22, 2005, 02:22 PM   #11
dev_null

Dude, darn thing scares ME, and I'm on the -- well, not exactly safe, but let's say less dangerous end.
Old May 23, 2005, 12:32 AM   #12
clintpup

Glad I had on glasses!

Yeah, I shot the Eagle the other day too, wow! That thing assaults the senses, huh! I tried to control it as best I could but I kept getting hit in the face by the casings. Maybe if I had controlled it better I would have had a better experience. To those who have them, did you get hit with the shells when you first started, and if so, why don't they hit you now? I'm guessing that my flinching after I pulled the trigger played a part.
Old May 23, 2005, 08:26 AM   #13
dev_null

Keep in mind I've only put 20 rounds through mine, so hardly a representative sampling, but I only got hit in the face once or twice. But then, as noted above, I was keeping my arms REALLY stiff to avoid that (which is probably why my shoulder started to hurt).

Maybe you should try shooting it gangsta style, yo.
Old May 24, 2005, 08:43 AM   #14
Jamie Young

As long as Mal H isn't the one loading up the AE and doesn't try and test me on my flinching I'd shoot your AE.

Dev_Null- I think you had a .308 Contender at the NRA range the last time I was down there. How much of a recoil difference is there between that and the AE?
Old May 24, 2005, 10:43 AM   #15
dev_null

The .308 definitely has more roar, but the difference in grip translates to a difference in kick. The T/C (which is for sale, btw, along with a .223 bbl and Leupold pistol scope) is definitely louder and has more concussion, but doesn't buck the way the DE does. The DE is sharper and rather bonejarring. Think .357 (DE) vs .45 ACP (T/C) -- only magnify both by 2x.

But they both have a definite "woohoo!" factor. Good replacement for the amusement park rides I liked as a kid but don't care for anymore.

- 0 -