The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 18, 2015, 10:52 PM   #1
00JFK

Anyone have experience with the R700 "Long Range"

I'm looking for a rifle to bridge the gap between my .30-06 ADL and my .17 HMR. My .30-06 is a great packing rifle, so I'm thinking that with this rifle I want a heavy barrel in the .243 neighborhood for some long range varmint/ bench work. I've been looking at the Remington line because I've been very satisfied with my ADL. Their "long range" line seems to be right up my alley, but when you google "Remington Long Range" you a bunch of results about people shooting there 700 a long distance and very little about the "long range" 700. I'm asking for any first hand experience anyone has with the "long range" model and how it differs from the SPS varmint other than having the M40 stock and being long action only(I think).

If I get a "long range," it will be in .25-06.

I do think that a .22 center fire might fill the gap better, but I would rather have that rifle be more packable than what I am looking for right now.

Thanks in advanced.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ong-range.aspx
Old July 19, 2015, 04:56 AM   #2
hartcreek

What to you is long range? There are many here that shoot a 30-06 out to 1000 yards with consistency.
Old July 19, 2015, 09:21 AM   #3
precision_shooter

"Long Range" is the name of the rifle...

I don't know anyone with one, nor have I seen any reviews for one on any of the forums I'm on. It's a Remington, so it will need a new trigger after purchase to shoot to its potential, so factor that into the cost as well.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 23, 2015, 11:37 PM   #4
00JFK

Thanks for the quick replies, and sorry for my late one. I've been working in the field for the past few days and just had a chance find an internet connection. If I can manage to put my hands on one of these "long range" rifles, I'll let you know what I think.
Old July 24, 2015, 12:09 AM   #5
Boogershooter

I got one in 30-06 back in the spring. The trigger is advertised as adjustable but mine only adjusts 1/2 lb. The rifle shoots great for me but it will b getting a new trigger soon. I've only shot out to 300 yards because that is my practical hunting distance! The stock is nice but not great! For the price overall it's hard to beat!
Old July 24, 2015, 08:20 AM   #6
Saltydog235

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565106