The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 9, 2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Modifications to varmint match barrels

I am just curious to know whether or not it is advisable, worthwhile or, conversely, contraindicated to fiddle with a match barrel on a varmint rifle, such as the CZ 550 Varmint.

What mod's do you mean, pond? would be the next logical question.

Well, really I am only interested in threading the barrel to take a suppressor, or muzzle brake.

Firstly, does the thread for suppressors match the thread for muzzle-brakes?

And, would it be better to just leave the barrel alone?
Old March 9, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
AK103K

I had a box stock Remington 700V in .308, that shot unbelievably well as it came. I swapped it off to my buddy for something I just had to have. (Ill never learn. ) He was convinced that fluting the barrel would make it even better. He had it done, and it was never the same again.

I have a suppressor for my AR's, one of which is an Armalite M15A4(T), that will shoot tiny little groups without the suppressor hanging off the end. With it on there, POI shifts a couple of inches both vertically and horizontally and the groups, while not bad, have never been as tight.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Bart B.

If best accuracy is your objective, leave the barrel unmodified.

There's no guarantee the barrel's accuracy will be maintained after putting something on the muzzle that changes the gas flow around the bullet for the first few inches/centimeters past the muzzle. And the added weight will change the frequency the barrel wiggles at when fired; possibly such that it degrades accuracy as the bullets will then leave at a different point in the muzzle's wiggle angle. It'll be in a different area of the cycle, but maybe such that the muzzle axis moves through a greater arc for the velocity spread your ammo has; that'll probably increase the group size it shoots.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:54 AM   #4
stubbicatt

1. Threads on the muzzle *may* work for both a suppressor and a brake, if they are the same threadform. There are manufacturers of suppressors who also manufacture brakes, over which one installs the suppressor. One of these might fit your needs.

2. As far as the effect of suppressors on accuracy, I think it is a mixed bag. I have read elsewhere on the internet that in some instances longer range accuracy is improved by the installation of a suppressor. I guess the only way to find out is to install a suppressor on your barrel and see what happens. The barrel on my "V" is pretty darned long. I would think accuracy with a suppressor mounted the muzzle would almost have to improve, as it would be long enough then to affect a "contact" shot! (LOL)

If yours is the 550V, it has a pretty fat barrel, I would think one would need to machine down the last inch or so of the barrel to a smaller diameter, and then thread it and install whatever muzzle device one is looking at.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by stubbicatt; March 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:00 PM   #5
reynolds357

I shoot brake in every class brake is legal. If installed properly, they will not hurt accuracy. Might have to do load development again.