The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2013, 10:19 AM   #1
leadly

browning reloading shotshells

i recently acquired some old reloading equipment....mec jr.mk5, lead shot, wads, primers, powder, etc. i have over 400 spent browning shotshells....this shell is not listed in the reloading book that came with the equipment. i am looking for a lead reloading recipe for this brand .......can anyone put me in the right direction? or better yet, supply me with a proper recipe?

thank you in advance,

bernie
Old January 29, 2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Ifishsum

Welcome - I'd pick up the Lyman shotshell reloading handbook (I think the most current is #4) as it will show you how to determine the construction of the hulls you have and whether or not they are suitable for reloading. It also has a large number of recipes for different hulls so if you can match them up to something you should also be able to find a recipe.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

Browning doesn't make shotgun shells - someone made them for them. You need to ID who so you do not use the wrong wads.

What markings are on the headstamp and hull body? Can you post a pic?

Also WHAT primers and WHAT powder?

What is the intended use - targets, birds, or????
Old January 30, 2013, 08:53 AM   #4
leadly

photos

shells 001.jpg

shells 005.jpg

shells 008.jpg

the shells say browning pro max....there are 2 stars, north and south, along with the number 12, east and west on the headstamp.

the primers are w209, there is also 350 versalite pacific wads(not in photo)

intended use would be ducks and geese.....i have both #2 & #4 lead shot

thanks again,
Old January 30, 2013, 09:45 AM   #5
357gp

I'd ask over at shotgunworld.com
Old January 30, 2013, 10:02 AM   #6
rlc323

First off, you are not going to legally shoot ducks or geese with any lead shotshells. Lead has been banned for migratory waterfowl since the early 80's.

Even then, these shells would not have been optimal for waterfowl hunting unless you were getting them at short range. Whoever you got these shells and components from was probably just loading some light 1 1/8 trap, skeet, or dove loads.

If those Browning shells were new in the box they would have some value as a rarity, but empty hulls of unsure pedigree could be a reloading mistake. You may put them on GunBroker and see if anyone bites.

Your lead 4's could be used for 1 1/8 ounce pheasant loads with what you have there. But I would look for some AA or Remington STS hulls to put it in. Your W209 primers should be fine. 700x is still popular and there is tons of data for it on the IMR powder website. The Winchester powder will require some digging in old manuals to find recipes. The WAA-12 wad is still sold and in use in many 1 1/8 ounce loads. The primers, WAA-12 wads and 700x is what you have that is good.

Did anyone mention a scale to weigh your powder charge? That is important for safety. Your MEC will require bushings to drop the right volume of powder. Mec has a bushing chart on their website to get you close with your 700X.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:11 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

The headstamp looks most likely to be from Cheddite. They also appear to be a 6-point crimp, not an 8 point like most target hulls, so these were field loads for sure

IF those are Cheddite hulls, they are straight-walled and the AA wads will be incorrect for use - you would need wads designed for Federal hulls which are also straight-walled.

Whether that old powder is still good to use is another question. You will need to look for discoloration and the smell will also be different. I have used both of those in the past and I think i still have some reloads I did over 30 years ago still in the stash somewhere- back when lead was still legal for ducks/geese and I was closer to pheasant hunting
Old January 31, 2013, 10:55 AM   #8
leadly

looks like they are going into the garbage.......

thanks for your time and knowledge