The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 19, 2012, 04:01 PM   #1
mo84

over under more popular than side by side

Why is it that more people gravitate towards to over under rather than the side by side. Do they shoot different when shooting skeet or what not. I personally like the look of the side by side alot better. Even when I go to the store there are more over / under shot guns rather than side by sides.
Old May 19, 2012, 04:02 PM   #2
zoomie

Feels better to me, especially to my non-firing hand.
Old May 19, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
Do they shoot different when shooting skeet
Yep, skeeters shoot O/Us because they get higher scores with them.
Old May 19, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
joegator

It's a matter of preference. For me, I like the feel of an O/U forearm better.The S/S forearms are too wide for me. I also prefer the field of view of a single barrel which is less obstructive when spotting and acquiring clay targets.
Old May 19, 2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Doyle

You will find precious few people who say they can shoot better with a SxS than they can with an O/U.
Old May 19, 2012, 06:07 PM   #6
oneounceload

On an equal-quality basis, the OU is a LOT less expensive; the single sighting plane is easier for most folks to get used to; the forearm is a lot more user friendly on the OU
Old May 19, 2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Slugo

for all the reasons above...
Old May 19, 2012, 06:37 PM   #8
jmr40

Clay shooters prefer O/U for the above reasons. A SXS of equal quality is more expensive, but as a hunting gun many feel the SXS is a better choice. They tend to be lighter, quicker pointing and are faster and easier to reload because they don't have to be opened as far.
Old May 19, 2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Freds484

I Like The Side X Side Better

I have two over & unders and to side x sides.
One in 12 gauge and one in 20 gauge each gun.
I prefer the side x sides and for hunting and clay shooting over the over & unders.
Its just me I shoot better with them.
I shoot the best with single barrel guns semiautos or pumps.
I guess it all what you like and feel the most comfortable with.
I stink at clays with an over & under don't know why?
What ever feels best to you go for it your the one shooting it.
Fred
Old May 19, 2012, 08:02 PM   #10
wildfan

It's a matter of preference. For me, I like the feel of an O/U forearm better.The S/S forearms are too wide for me. I also prefer the field of view of a single barrel which is less obstructive when spotting and acquiring clay targets.

^this^
Old May 19, 2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Virginian

Yeah boy, and more people voted for Obama too. Both indicators of the increasing decline of our civilization.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:29 PM   #12
mo84

Thanks for all the replys, I never thought about the wideness of the side by side but I can see how that could be an issue. Like stated, I guess it comes down to personal preferance and most people being used to a single barrel siteing style. I have never shot an over and under but have used a side by side a couple times, I guess I will have to pick on up one day and see how it feels.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:31 PM   #13
smokin' barrels

I like the looks of a SXS but id rather have the performance of an O/U. Personal opinion, but i would love to have s SXS in the collection somewhere
Old May 19, 2012, 09:36 PM   #14
Nick S.

I have a Mossberg 500A in 12 ga. and a Stevens S/S in 16 ga. and score much higher on the trap range with the Mossberg pump. I wish it was the other way around. The main thing is to have fun. Which ever one you choose you will get better with practice. The more fun you're having, the more you'll want to practice. Then you'll have even more fun when you scores improve.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:40 PM   #15
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S.
Then you'll have even more fun when you scores improve.
Nick, you're ready for an O/U and lots more fun.
Old May 20, 2012, 02:15 AM   #16
UnbearablePanda

My dad used a browning SxS and won quite a few tournaments. He didn't go state for some reason. But he swears on the SxS. Said it cost him about 3k 12 years ago.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:45 AM   #17
darkgael

The view from a SXS

Looking down my old Parker:

Nothing points like a SXS.

That being written....I am a firm believer in going to matches and taking inventory of what the winners are shooting. Trap, skeet, SCs......much as I love the guns....they ain't shooting SXSs.
At Trap I shoot my BT- 99 better than my SXSs.....but I wonder always if that isn't at least partly because I shoot the Browning way more and because the SXSs have substantially shorter barrels and lighter weight and very different swing dynamics. I can run ten or fifteen in a row with a SXS....and then miss six of the next ten. Is that me or the gun? I don't do that with the Trap gun.
I have not bought into the wide sight plane/harder to see the bird business....if I am holding on the top of the Trap at what ever point ....or off a bit on #5, I have plenty of time to acquire the target. It's something else.
But....the big guys....they use O/Us and singles; if they thought for a moment that a SXS would give them one more break, they'd buy one in a heart beat.
Pete
Old May 20, 2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Nick S.

I don't know Zipp13. I rented an O/U once & didn't do too good. I started off with the Stevens S/S 16 ga. when the plastic stock started getting lose by the 2nd station. Thats when I switched to the O/U . Seemed very front heavy. The S/S seemed to balance better. I saw a used Sears (Stevens) 12 ga. S/S for sale ,$350. It has wooden stock & fore grip & looks like new. My 16 ga Stevens is pre 1949 but the stock needs tightening after 25 or 50 rounds with a long screw driver up the hollow plastic stock. I wonder if it can be replaced with a wooden one. The plastic fore stock is not a problem.
Old May 20, 2012, 06:43 PM   #19
Daggitt

I like the side-by-side for Rabbits and the over under or an automatic for birds.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:11 PM   #20
zippy13

Quote:
I rented an O/U once & didn't do too good...
...Seemed very front heavy.
Could be barrel length, fit, and/or the way you gripped the fore wood. Some SxS shooters grip the front wood in close so they don't toast their fingers where the wood narrows. That's not a problem with an O/U.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:14 PM   #21
zippy13

Quote:
Pete, my friend, the last time I saw anything that looked that wide I was approaching a carrier in the gulf.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:22 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While no aficionado of these fine "gentleman's guns" I love the SXS just cuz it looks so cool...
Yet it does a fine job of doing what I ask of it which is to shoot critters...

I have never had an OU but would for the right price...

The fore end of my 5103 Stevens is one of the narrowest I have held...

Can't wait to splurge and buy the new wood to replace this first generation synthetic hollow junk...

Brent
Old May 21, 2012, 04:03 AM   #23
darkgael

Lol

Quote:
Quote:
Pete, my friend, the last time I saw anything that looked that wide I was approaching a carrier in the gulf.
That made me smile.
Pete
Old May 21, 2012, 11:03 AM   #24
Nick S.

I have an old (1879) 10 ga Parker too. Don't know how to post pictures here yet. But I'll try. Can't, too many MB s ??
Old May 21, 2012, 02:02 PM   #25
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I like them both. But not for the same stuff.

O/Us rule when precision is more important than speed.

GOOD SxS shotguns are best for when we can swap a little precision for a faster,effective shot or shots.

I currently have two O/Us but no SxSs.....