The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 12, 2010, 07:00 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Ruger New Vaquero question . . . .

I recently bought a New Vaquero - blued, 5 1/2 barrel in 357 so I can shoot 38 specials (for some reason my favorite cartridge). I know that some of you use them for CAS and the like so I posted this question here as hopefully some of you who have one will give me your thoughts.

I had a chance to finally do some shooting with it today and I love it. I think it is a great revolver! Rugged construction, well balanced, etc. However, I have a minor issue with the factory grips. Is it me, or do the factory grips on the New Vaquero seem to be too thin? I don't have large hands - at least they aren't the size of "Hams". It just seems to me though that it would be more comfortable to grasp if each of the grips were about a 1/8" - 3/16" thicker. Or am I just "nuts" and being too picky??? Do some of you think the same as me? If so, can someone recommend some replacement grips that would take care of the problem - something that looks western" or "period" that would make the entire grip a little heftier to wrap your hand around. I've looked at some of the grips from the various suppliers but can't tell if when put on the pistol, they would be thicker overall. Thanks for any input you can provide - even if it is just to tell me I'm "nuts"!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 12, 2010, 07:03 PM   #2
jmortimer

Feel for you but in reverse. I had an "old" Vaquero and the grips were too big for my hands so I put on some thinner Eagle Grips. Got a "new" Vaquero which fit my hand like a glove. Hopefully some one can I.D. some larger grips for you.

Last edited by jmortimer; September 12, 2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old September 12, 2010, 07:38 PM   #3
mavracer

either 41 magnum from rugerforum.net or pvt schultz on ebay make exellent grips for new vaqueros.they both fill my hands better than the factory grip.
here are links
http://rugerforum.net/parts-accessor...ip-panels.html
http://stores.ebay.com/Privates-Custom-Grips
pics of my grips from 41mag

and pvt schultz
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old September 12, 2010, 07:46 PM   #4
denster

What mavracer said. +1 if you want more handfilling grips. Personaly I like the factory grips because they feel more Colt like and the New Vaquero is the first Ruger single action I've felt was worth owning in a long while.
Old September 13, 2010, 09:14 AM   #5
bedbugbilly

Thanks to all of you for your help & advice. Mavracer - thanks for the photos! Nice looking pistols and I can tell just from the photos that the grips are more what I'm looking for in regards to "filling my hsnd". I'll check in to the sources and see what I can come up with.

denster - I've had the opportunity over the years to handle and examine a few original Colt SAA but have to honestly say that it's been so long I don't really remember what they actually felt like. It's not that I'm really dis-satisfied with the factory grips - I could live with them if I had to. I don't shoot competition - just target shooting and plinking. I'm no "marksman" for sure but hey, it's all about having fun anyway. After finally getting to shoot my New Vaquero yesterday for the first time, I'm thinking that I need to have thicker grips and maybe it would help. If I put thicker grips on it and my shooting doesn't improve . . . . yikes! I'll have to come up with a better excuse! At 57, this is one of my first encounters with the "new fangled cartridge guns" and I have to say, I love it! I would have loved to have a "real" Colt SAA but after looking at prices and what I was going to use it for (general plinking and target), I just couldn't justify the cost. After reading a lot and researching, I decided on the New Vaquero as it was "Colt SAA like". I know a lot of fellas who have the "old" Vaqueros think they are better than the "new" Vaqueros". I didn't have an "old" one to compare the "new" one to but I have to tell you. I love my New Vaquero and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. It's well built, rugged, well balanced and a joy to shoot. As I said, the factory grips are just a little too thin for my hand but if that is the only fault that I can find with the revolver, I think it speaks highly of what a great product it is. In fact, I'm hoping that I can sometime run across one with a shorter barrel to add to my "shooting iron family"!

I'm having so much fun with this "new fangled cartridge gun" that I'm even planning on getting a press and supplies to reload the empty brass I'm producing! Yikes! One thing sure can lead into another . . . .

Many thanks to everyone - I really appreciate your help! Sincerely, BB
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 13, 2010, 09:44 AM   #6
denster

Billy. Enjoy your New Vaquero. The only thing that caused me to buy one, after some bad experiences with early Vaqueros, was getting interested in cowbot fast draw and not wanting to subject my colt clones to the abuse. I decided once I got it to try some live ammo and found "hey this is pretty nice".
Old September 13, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Noz

The cowboys like the thinner grips because of the speed that they are grabbing them and getting them into action. The larger grips are far superior when it comes to absorbing recoil from heavy loads but that is not a factor in cowboy shooting.
Old September 13, 2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

It's not the grips, it the hands.
Everyone has different size and shape hands.
Factory grips are made to a fairly arbitrary average.
Buy or make some grips that feel best for you.