The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 24, 2016, 06:26 PM   #26
vito

Might be interesting to post this question on a social media location. Ask non-gun owners and non-enthusiasts why they think that some people love guns. They will tell you that us gun lovers are trying to make up for some deficiency, probably related to certain body parts, or that we have pathological desires to kill and hurt people, or we feel so insecure that we want to dominate other people through our firearms, etc. I guarantee that you would not get a single response that matches any on this forum. Guns are useful tools, marvels of engineering, fill a need that nothing else can fill, and fun to use, and harken back to our earliest instinctive drives for self preservation and success in a competitive and dangerous world.

Once when a relative who is outspoken in her anti-gun attitude asked me why I like guns, and I responded, "who wouldn't?".
Old April 24, 2016, 07:40 PM   #27
gunnre

Hmmm. Many times, especially on the range alone, I find it meditative. I'm focused on the firearm, the target, the sights, the trigger, my grip, stance, my breath. Can't multi-task thinking of the wifey or work business.
Now I find I shot less and am more methodical and spend more productive time at the range.
Now I get to close out the afternoon or evening, marveling at the engineering while cleaning, inspecting, basically tending to the firearm before being stabled.

Now I can't wrap my brain around the idea that a firearms operational usefulness is that minuscule moment that the projectile spins down the barrel.

Way I see it, two of my firearms served me well today. At least and hour and half of range time, plus maybe a half hour of cleaning. That's two sweet hours of Yoga, Yogi
Old April 24, 2016, 08:07 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...shoot pretty much non stop for almost 10 minutes...
10 minutes of actual non stop full-auto firing for an AR-15/M16 would be 7,000 to 9,500 rounds which is getting into the neighborhood of the nominal service life of an AR-15 barrel.

So I should amend my statement to say "under 20 minutes" as opposed to "under 10 minutes".
Quote:
It takes time to cycles the bolt on a bolt action rifle or a lever action rifle. To cock the hammer on a revolver, to load and unload a single shot. Those may be things that have to be manually done, but they are still part of the operating time of the firearm.
Since all those things are done manually, there's no way to quantify how long they take and trying to add that into the actual operating life of the gun only makes sense if one is trying to stretch the figure. Does it really make sense to say that the service life of a gun is longer if it's owned by someone who cycles the bolt very slowly? I wouldn't think so...
Old April 24, 2016, 08:24 PM   #29
Tinbucket

Are your fascinated by Guns? Why?

From the first time I saw one, I wanted one. At age 6 or so I shot my Uncles Springfield .22 with a long 28 inch barrel.
Carried that gun to the store to buy shells. 29 cents for shorts or so. Shot lots of squirrels and rabbits and spent .22 casings and pennies.
I cleaned with Singer machine oil and cut patches on a double piece of thread or strong and needle to drop it down the barrel.
I've bought several junk guns and fot them into good condition. No gun smithing as such.
I like guns a lot. An examining and cleaning one not familiar to me and rejuvenating it is a most pleasureable past time.
Might need to join Gunaholics Anynmous nto to quit but to examine their guns and get tips on fixing others.
Old April 24, 2016, 09:14 PM   #30
rfalcon

My mom didn't like guns in the house, so naturally, when I married and had my own home, I was fascinated by them. Then they became just another everyday tool. But I find the process of shooting relaxing, and helps my mind focus. Kind of Zen, I guess. Inhale, exhale, relax pause, squeeze trigger. Repeat. During that process, nothing else exists lol. So fascinated? No. Enjoy the mechanics and tinkering with them as well. But I also get pleasure using a drill press, welder, milling machine, etc.
Old April 25, 2016, 07:26 AM   #31
Skans

Quote:
Ask non-gun owners and non-enthusiasts why they think that some people love guns. They will tell you that us gun lovers are trying to make up for some deficiency, probably related to certain body parts, or that we have pathological desires to kill and hurt people, or we feel so insecure that we want to dominate other people through our firearms, etc. I guarantee that you would not get a single response that matches any on this forum.
Oh, I don't doubt that at all! In fact, I think most of us have heard or read what antis think of our fascination with guns. I suppose the same kind of psycho-babel could apply to swords, spears, bow-&-arrow, missiles, rockets, and who knows what else.

But, non-gun owners don't really get it do they? So, their answers to my question would likely be shallow, simplistic and lacking any real substance. I am much more interested in why actual gun owners (like myself) find guns appealing. For me its a combination of the mechanical nature of the gun, history and something else that I call longevity or posterity.
Old April 25, 2016, 04:23 PM   #32
aarondhgraham

I've already posted,,,

I've already posted in this thread,,,
But I've been thinking more about the topic.

I do have a fascination with the workings of a gun,,,
I mean we are holding a controlled explosion in our hands.

I love the intricacies of how this is managed.

One of the most exhilarating things in my life was when,,,
I learned how to load and fire a flintlock.

But after some reflection I think the true fascination is,,,
Just sending a projectile of any type downrange,,,
And hitting a predetermined spot.

When I was a small child I attended Sunday School,,,
I wondered where David got the inner tube to make a sling shot.

Then my grandfather told me what real slings were,,,
We made one from some leather strap he had,,,
I emptied our driveway of gravel with it.

I still think my proudest "hunting" moment,,,
Was when I showed my Dad a rabbit I beaned with it.

I have a friend with three young sons,,,
I've sort of adopted them as The Cool Uncle,,,
Last year for Christmas I bought them throwing knives.

A year before that I made them real biblical slings,,,
I found I could still hit a paper plate at 25 yards.

Later on it was archery,,,
I shot on a team in high school.

In 1978 I competed in the California Olympic tryouts,,,
The top five went to a national level tourney to pick the USA team.

I didn't get selected to go to that tourney,,,
Even though I scored #3 out of over 80 archers.

My claim to almost-fame is,,,
Two California people were picked for the USA team.

I had beat them both.

Moot point though,,,
Carter had the USA boycott the 1980 games.

I even got into competitive darts,,,
But that was always in a bar,,,
Same with 8-Ball pool,,,
Beer was a problem.

So basically I'm into anything that tosses a projectile at a target.

At my age, guns just happen to be the thing that still works out for me.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 25, 2016, 07:24 PM   #33
Kreyzhorse

I am not fascinated with guns. I do enjoy them though. The are marvellous little machines that are fun to shoot, offer protection and some of them could tell some great stories if they could.
Old December 21, 2016, 10:55 AM   #34
Jayhawkhuntclub

My wife once asked me, "Why are you so obsessed with guns?" The answer is: I have no idea. I'm not sure why I love breasts as much as I do either. It's just the way it is.
Old December 21, 2016, 11:34 AM   #35
vito

And motorcycles. And donuts. Who knows why?
Old December 21, 2016, 02:12 PM   #36
mr bolo

guns will be destroyed in less than 100 years

my guess, your modern firearms wont be around in 100 years, the government will take them away and destroy them by that time

it's not the same as an old antique rilfe or pistol from 1880 - 1911

current guns wont make it as long in private ownership like they use to

the 2nd amendment will be changed before that ever happens

everything changes , throughout history people rewrite history or change the story, just like the bible, and believe what they want to or only print what they want to believe or want others to believe.
Old December 21, 2016, 05:51 PM   #37
ShooterScott1

I like the independence they give me. A sense that I can take care of myself.
Old December 21, 2016, 06:52 PM   #38
Iwanttoshootbettter

Yes

But only because a saltwater infection from fishing in Galveston bay almost killed me.I fished 3-5 times a week and was passionate about it my r hand looked like a catchers mitt.2 months in the hospital with heavy drugs drs told me to stay away from any fresh or salt water.Sold the boat and most of my 38 rods n reels.Bolt guns fascinate me have deer n hog hunted 28 years just taking it another level and appreciate all the help from this site.Have a daily carry and am not attracted to black guns with due respect.

Last edited by Iwanttoshootbettter; December 21, 2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old December 21, 2016, 08:55 PM   #39
Pathfinder45

Almost everyone is fascinated by guns, even those who don't approve of them, fear them, loathe them, and want to have them confiscated and banned. If it were not so, there wouldn't be such an overwhelming
presence of firearm depiction in film and television.
Old December 24, 2016, 10:02 AM   #40
HiBC

Because wet dogs,Hoppes #9,Lin-Speed,coffee,and ham and eggs and old men are the smells that distracted us from Momma's bosom,Johnson's baby powder, Desitin,and the diaper bucket.(blatant plagiarism of Robert Ruark "The Old Man and the Boy")
Old December 24, 2016, 10:04 AM   #41
Don P

Quote:
Are you fascinated by guns?
Obsessed is more like it
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 26, 2016, 06:45 PM   #42
Ozzieman

I don't really know. My father served in WW2 and landed on Normandy in later life he was totally uninterested in guns so he was not a reason.
My grandfather was a great shooter of birds but I never met him.
My best guess was TV, as a kid when Combat was on, I was there.
Had my first handgun when I was 14. Legally, 44 cap and ball which I still have and shoot.
I am addicted to shooting sports and I need NO cure.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 27, 2016, 01:34 AM   #43
iraiam

I'm not necessarily fascinated by guns or "love" guns. The main reason I own so many now, and have so much ammunition now. Is some of our civilian government goes out of their way to restrict or ban us from having them, while specifically exempting itself from any such restrictions. I have a serious problem with that.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 27, 2016, 06:23 AM   #44
Nathan

I too am fascinated by guns, really the mechanisms. Think about the complexity of mechanism designs. I love the almost zero fasteners part! Then there are the safety/ignition mechanisms. It is all pretty cool.
Old December 27, 2016, 08:57 PM   #45
Ozzieman

Maybe I do have a problem, I will let the members decide if I need professional help or not by the following datum.

This thread

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579586

And number of posts
Ozzieman

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.