The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 5, 2012, 08:24 PM   #1
deadeyedeadyote

Question about Mosin Nagant 91/30 Bolt

Hi everybody and thanks for taking the time to read this. I've always gotten reliable and useful advice from these forums and I'm sure this time will be no different. I disassembled my bolt for my 91/30 for the first time the other day and I noticed the firing pin would retract completely after I pulled the bolt back and locked it into place for the final time. I have that little measuring tool with the 3 notches and the screw driver piece to remove the firing pin and I know the pin is supposed to remain just shy of touching the tops of the notches, but when I pull the bolt back against the spring and rotate it that final time it is invisible and all I see is the hole for it. I just wanted to know if this was normal and if I was reassembling the bolt correctly. Thank you guys and/or girls for your assistance!
Old November 6, 2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Yung.gunr

Have you watched some YouTube videos? It is hard to visualize what you are describing. I would suggest checking out this video and see if it helps you figure it out. If not let us know where you get lost in relation to the video.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aUoL...e_gdata_player

Make sense?
Old November 7, 2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Model12Win

Remove the bolt from the rifle. Decock it by pulling the knurled cocking piece on the back of the bolt rearwards then rotate it to the right and let the bolt decock itself. Hard to explain, I recommend a video.

You should see the firing pin if you do this. Take the firing pin protrusion gauge and slide the first set of notches over the pin. The gauge should slightly scrape against the firing pin. Now move the gauge to the other notch, the pin should not touch the gauge when you slide it over the bolt face.

Like I said a video on youtube will explain this better Im sure. Dont shoot your rifle till you are positive of correct firing pin protrusion.

Last edited by Model12Win; November 7, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4
jkpq45

It sounds like you're trying to check firing pin protrusion with the firing pin in the rearward (cocked) position. Decock the bolt per the instructions above, then check protrusion.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:54 PM   #5
iraiam

The firing pin protrusion should be checked it the "fired" position not while it's cocked.

When the firing pin is extended fully, it should touch the top of the notch that is labeled 75, this is the minimum. It should not touch the top of the notch that is labeled 95, if it touches there then the firing pin sticks out too far and can put a hole in the primer case when fired, which will release hot gasses through it.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason