The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 22, 2010, 10:05 PM   #1
hans4811

Cleanup of MilSurp 30-06 bullets ?

Received a thousand rounds today of 30-06 150 grain flat based, US mil spec. handpulled tips. Near the base/cannelure there's a tar-like gunk on them, not real bad, but there nonetheless. I know the military sealed their rounds to prevent moisture getting into them so I'm assuming its something to do with that.

Do you think it's safe to throw them in the tumbler with some corn cob media for a little bit to try and clean this tar off of them ? Or is it going to mar up the bullets? Or just don't worry about it and load em up ?

Ken
Old April 22, 2010, 10:17 PM   #2
William T. Watts

Cleanup of Milsurp 30/06 bullets

Use lacquer thinner, soak the bullets in the thinner for a few minutes should remove the sealer! William
Old April 22, 2010, 10:52 PM   #3
medalguy

I bought the same bullets. I cleaned mine by tumbling in corncob with a half cup of mineral spirits (I have a large tumbler that will hold 1,000 30-06 cases so reduce accordingly) and a little NuFinish polish, tumbled 2 hours and they shine like new. I finished by tumbling about 15 minutes in clean cob to dry and remove any residual mineral spirits.

I'm afraid to soak in any solvent. If any seeps down into the space between the lead and jacket, the residue could deteriorate the powder. I have cleaned 20,000 bullets this way in the past week and had no problems at all. After finishing I discarded the cob as it was pretty black looking.