The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 26, 2000, 10:11 PM   #1
Fusternc

I have a leather sling I would like to put on my "new" CMP Service Grade M1 Garand, but its a very light tan color. I would like it to kinda match the dark walnut stock on my garand. Anyone know what to use without damaging the sling or rotting it? Specific products and colors would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Nathan....
Old July 27, 2000, 08:50 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Nathan, visit or call a Tandy shop. They have all manner of leather craft supplies. I have seen leather dies in all colors. I'm sure they would carry it. You might also try dye made for shoes. In this the age of Nike dying and polishing shoes is almost unheard of but it is still sold. George
Old July 27, 2000, 09:09 AM   #3
houndawg

Lincoln or Kiwi brown leather dye. THey are both good. I use the Kiwi to dye my duty gear when it gets worn looking from rubbing up against walls (Holding up walls is the biggest part of being a Correctional Officer). We used the Lincoln in the Marine Corps to dye our boots.
Old July 28, 2000, 07:05 PM   #4
markmcj

Run down to tsc {tractor supply company} and get some neatsfoot oil. Roll up the sling, put it in a bowl,{I used a old butter bowl,sheads spread}Put enough neatsfoot oil in there to cover the sling, soak over nite. The next day pull it out. Nice deep brown. the only draw back is it's very oily, takes awhile to not have it "greasy" but after a while it will be
fine. my .02
Old July 28, 2000, 07:43 PM   #5
JNewell

Neatsfoot oil will also soften the leather, which is a big no-no if it's for competition.

Beware, also, that most neatsfoot oil is actually "compound" that contains mostly petroleum oils. If you must put neatsfoot oil on it, get the real stuff (Tandy will have it, as does www.weaver1.com).