The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 8, 1999, 02:38 PM   #1
Dago

Sure is quiet around here!

I would like to get started in CAS or mounted shooting, since most of my spare time is spent with my horses anyways.

As far as CAS goes, what are some of the basics of the matches? What calibers, etc. are allowed? What are some of the ground rules? Any good websites/books on the subject?

Went to a mounted match here on Saturday, and although I've been to one before, I was awestruck at the accuracy and skill of some of the riders.

The kids were the best though...they rode the stage and shot from the ground. But the sight of a skinny little 8 year old girl blasting balloons and fanning the trigger of a .45, one-handed almost brought tears to my eyes!!

Dago
Old November 8, 1999, 06:09 PM   #2
colt 3840

Howdy dago! It's a bit quiet around here because we are all over at the www.sassnet.com over on the SASS wire. come join us.

Derringer Dick
SASS #1495
Old November 9, 1999, 09:35 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Mounted shooting uses blanks (usually balckpowder) supplied by the match director. No competitor is allowed to even have any live ammo on their person or kit IIRC. That way a competitor will not mistakenly load with the wrong ammo. The blanks can pop the ballons with the powder burning as it comes out of the barrel. From what I understand, some horses really take to mounted shooting and some don't.
As to CAS matches, it really depends upon which organization's rules you want to operate under. SASS will allow most any single action revolver (original, fascimile, or reproduction) to be used as long as a lead bullet is used (no jacketed) and the velocity remains under 1000fps. Some popular weapons are Colt Single Actions, Ruger Vaqueros and the various Italian reporductions.
Pistol caliber lever action rifles or carbines are eligible for rifle matches. Rifles must have a visible hammer (thus no Winchester 88s, Ruger lever guns etc) lead bullets only and a maximum velocity of 1400fps. Some popular models are Winchester 94s, Marlin 1894s, Rossi 92s. Winchester and Marlin also make lever actions specifically for the cowboy action markdet.
Shotguns can be double barrel or pump with a visible hammer (pumps are only allowed two rounds maximum loaded at any time to stay on par with the double barrels). Some popluar models are the Stevens 311 series, Stoeger Coach Guns, Rossi Overlands (all double barrels);Winchester 97s, Marlin 93s and variations, (pump action). A couple of companies also made lever action shotguns in the late 1800s. The Winchester 1887 is probably the most widely known of these (Arnold used one in T2, though IIRC it was actually a 1901; an updated version of the 1887).
There are also long range rifle events, pocket pistol events, and derringer events. These are usually side matches added on to the main match, if held at all. The long range rifles are usually the same weapons that the buffalo hunters used - Sharps, Rolling Blocks, Winchester Hi-Walls, etc. The pocket pistols are a little difficult to define. What one area calls a pocket pistol another may not. I believe that this is in a transition stage. The derringer is pretty slef explanatory.
There is also a black powder category.
Then there are categories that class each shooter by; their style of shooting, one-handed (duellist), two-handed (traditional); their sights, fixed (traditional) or adjustable (modern); gender (usually only in larger matches); age - junior, senior etc.
It sounds more complicated than it is.
Go through the archives here in the CAS forum and you'll probably get most of your questions answered, if not, please ask for more clarification. Me or perhaps someone more knowledgable than I can answer your questions.
As an example