The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 11, 1999, 11:17 PM   #1
Huntman

Was browsing through a little contry museum yesterday.One of the longguns was a Manton-cap lock converted from flint-12 ga.I beleive.Is there much chance of this being one of the predecessors of Purdey.The man purdey aprenticed to I think was manton.An interesting place with about 40 handguns-some colts-and 50 long guns including a 30-30 over .410 lever action made from a winchester.
Old July 12, 1999, 01:37 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Where is this museum? The UK? Not many Mantons made it to this side of the pond.

There were two Mantons, brothers (some sources say half-brothers), John and Joseph. John was employed as foreman in the shop of a man named Twigg, and then set out on his own. He became the leading gunmaker in England in the period roughly from 1810-1825. He was "By Appointment" and all that, gunmaker to the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York. He died in 1834.

His son, I think also named John, continued the business through mid-century, but was not considered as fine a gunmaker as his father.

Joseph Manton became "top gun" from about 1825 to about 1835. In 1816, he patented a percussion system using a pellet, and in 1818 one using a tube lock. He died in 1835 and his shop was taken over by a William Golding.

If you are in the UK, there are a couple of books on the Mantons and their times; they were pretty famous. Any large library should have them unless Tony banned gun books as well.

OK, now tell me about a lever action Winchester in .30-30 and .410. Sounds ... well, interesting.

Jim

P.S. I won't change the above, but I now see you are in Canada.

JEK

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited July 12, 1999).]
Old July 12, 1999, 03:00 PM   #3
Huntman

Jim; will be back at the museum in a week or so,will try to get a serial number and more on the manton.Will also get a better look at the win.30-30/.410 to figure out its firing arrangement.I am thinking of voluntering to
properly catalogue and describe the collectiona winter project.regards