The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 3, 2010, 12:43 PM   #26
Mike in VA

In New Mexico

One must qualify at 3 and 7 yards at an 11"x17" target.

Interestingly, you also have to qualify separately with revolver and autoloader of the largest caliber you intend to carry (no one-size-fits-all permit). As an 'ordinary citizen' you may only carry one gun at at ime (no BUG!).

I qualified with a .45 acp Colt Cmdr and a 7.5" Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt. At 3 yds with the Ruger, I was worried about setting the targer on fire (I wear a 17 1/2 -36 shirt-)
Old January 3, 2010, 03:00 PM   #27
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I think Indiana's model works pretty well, actually. We have no training requirement, and yet somehow manage to not go around having negligent shootings, despite having over 350,000 permit holders in the state.
I agree. Even Michigan's rather minimal requirements are still requirements, and are therefore a pain to deal with. Personally, I wish the Secretary of State would handle it along with your DL.
Old January 3, 2010, 03:26 PM   #28
swinokur

I live in MD where I cannot be trusted to carry a gun. I just completed my NV CCW and the live fire qualification was:

12 rounds each at 3, 7, and 10 yards using a B-27 target. reload after 6 rounds each distance. Revolver 10 rounds each distance reload after 5.

In NV you must qualify with each brand, model and caliber of semi auto you wish to carry. Revolver qual is any model or caliber and you can carry any wheel gun you want. The list of weapons is on your permit.

I did this because NV stopped recognition of UT and FL CCW.
Old January 3, 2010, 03:50 PM   #29
smince

Quote:
Of the states I've lived in, Indiana and Georgia had the proper training requirements, which is to say "none at all."
We have no training requirement in Alabama, either

In and out with my permit in 10 minutes
Old January 3, 2010, 04:03 PM   #30
fuhr52

Oregon requires a gun safety course only. No need to fire a shot.
Old January 3, 2010, 04:40 PM   #31
retiredcoasty

In MA, there is no requirement to shoot to get your permit. Go to a class, pay $100 and pass the background check is all that is necessary. However, the smart people take the NRA course that includes actually shooting revolvers and pistols.
Old January 3, 2010, 05:21 PM   #32
protectedbyglock

Quote:
I live in MD where I cannot be trusted to carry a gun.
Sorry to hear that. I live in PA, but I'm not far from the Hagerstown area. It's a major PITA to have to remember to leave the gun at home whenever I visit MD.
I just stay out of the state if I can. There have been a few times in Baltimore (and even in Hagerstown) when I would have felt a little more comfortable with some protection.

Here in PA, there are no requirements other than passing a background check. $20 and 20mins. The way it should be, IMHO.