The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1
mohr308

.223 Barnes bullet pic

I took out the AR-15 for some Barnes tsx 62grain testing today and other bullets also. Anyway I decided to try out the claim of how a Barnes expands and retains weight. The target was a row of 5 Arizona Iced tea jugs filled with water which are think skinned @100yds. The bullet retained 100% of its weight! Here is a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barnes tsx.jpg (18.5 KB, 130 views)
Old August 19, 2012, 01:01 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Nice expansion.

But... are you sure it retained all of its weight?

I loaded some 53 gr TSX FBs in .220 Swift a few years ago, but their actual weight was 57-58 gr. Yes... picking nits, but I'm curious.
Old August 19, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Adamantium

That is a sweet looking bullet, is it recommended for 1:7 only?
Old August 19, 2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
I loaded some 53 gr TSX FBs in .220 Swift a few years ago, but their actual weight was 57-58 gr. Yes... picking nits, but I'm curious.
Wow! I'd have had a chat with Barnes about that!

I use Barnes TTSX bullets in 3 different calibers and they're all within a few 10ths of stated weight, like any other bullets I've weighed.
Old August 19, 2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Weight retention isn't a big deal when using copper. This is not a feature unique to Barnes. However, they do make the disclaimer that weight retention is at normal impact velocities. At short ranges and hitting hard tissue such as bone, they note that their bullets certainly can fail and lose petals.

Taurus solid copper bullets also have the same claim of virtually 100% weight retention as well.

Also see http://www.chuckhawks.com/barnes_bul...zzleloader.htm
Old August 19, 2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

"Fail" is a strong word, if it's a reference to performance. Fail in terms of metal "failure", pieces breaking off, yes, but Barnes is very adamant that the bullets will perform well in terms of lethality at literally any speed, the only caveat being a lack of expansion below 1,800 fps.
Actually, a Barnes tech told me that he wouldn't expect loss of petals at any speed unless "heavy bone" was hit.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:20 PM   #7
mohr308

I weighed all the bullets before loading and the one I recovered weighed the same after impact. These bullets are recommended for 1:9 twist or faster, so they should work just fine for a 1:7 twist. I loaded that bullet with LC brass, CCI 41 primer and 25 grains of CFE223.
Old August 19, 2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
"Fail" is a strong word, if it's a reference to performance. Fail in terms of metal "failure", pieces breaking off, yes,...Actually, a Barnes tech told me that he wouldn't expect loss of petals at any speed unless "heavy bone" was hit.
I believe I pretty much covered all of this except for the word of "heavy." However, "fail" was the exact word I meant to say because the discussion at hand was weight retention and most hollowpoints lose weight via "failure" of the structure.

Quote:
but Barnes is very adamant that the bullets will perform well in terms of lethality at literally any speed
How did the Barnes tech define lethality in milk jugs?
Old August 19, 2012, 06:14 PM   #9
mohr308

I did mention the jugs were from Arizona iced tea, which the plastic is about 3x the thickness of a milk jug. It did penetrate into 3 jugs and was stopped at the backside of the 3rd. This was just a test to recover a bullet and see its pattern when opened. I have read from many reviews people using these on deer and getting full pass thru even when hitting bone. I have yet to see and prove it to myself, but when the season comes I will test it.

I did test the bullets before using CFE223 with CCI 400 primers and did not get very good results, with the new primer I'm getting tighter groups.
Old August 19, 2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I shot a button buck with one 2 years ago.
110gr TTSX from 15" Encore Pro Hunter in 7mm-08, 2900fps.
40 yards.
It was a BOOM!, flop, blat!, dead.
Took several minutes to find the entrance, exit was 3/4 inch approximately.
Bullet path was at least 8" from the heart but the heart was split open.
Entrance was 3/4 up chest, exit was 1/2. Roughly.
Old August 20, 2012, 11:48 AM   #11
snuffy

Pretty much a standard looking Barnes bullet! These were fired into a medium called the bullet test tube. A wax medium that comes real close to mammal muscle tissue.

Wound cavity is real hard to see with an all-copper bullet. No lead "wake" to see where it went, or how much disruption it made. Entrance was on the right, it made it all the way though 8" of medium, and was found after penetrating 6 layers of rags in a back-up tube. The petals open just after impact, the max energy dump is right away, if you can see the "bubble" at the beginning of the wound cavity. Then the bullet penetrates as a solid.

This was fired in my 20" bushy AR-15 with a 1-9 twist. Impact was @ 25 yards.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 20, 2012, 12:40 PM   #12
mohr308

Snuffy

what was your load for that bullet? I was using mine out of my 16" AR also a 1:9 twist
Old August 20, 2012, 07:39 PM   #13
snuffy

You're going to make me go look aren't you? BRB.

I remember it was IMR-8208 XBR, but I can't find the data for the charge weight. Mid range from 21.0 to 23.1 according to the Hodgdon website. IIRC it was 22.0 grains. I did not chronograph them either.

I was testing a lot of .224 hunting bullets at that time, just to see what I would load IF I were to get a chance to go hunting again. AND I decided to carry the AR.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?