The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 20, 2010, 03:14 AM   #1
Celo456

Pre ban rules and applications

Is there any new parts I can put in a rifle which will negate pre-ban status and obvious advantages. I was told that if I replace the receiver of my mini 14 it is no longer considered to be a pre ban rifle. Unless the reciever going on was also made before the ban. I understand the reciever and the magazines are stamped with the date. But putting a new engine in a 1969 camaro doesn't make it a 2010 camaro. Just to be clear this is a simple curiosity. I don't have a need or plan to swap my reciever out. But it will eventually wear out and I have big plans for my mini. Any info will be appreciated
Old January 20, 2010, 03:41 AM   #2
Celo456

Let me make one more point of contention. I am located in Nassau County NY. Now I am aware the assault weapons ban signed by president Clinton has expired. But it seems in my area (I am not sure if this is state wide, or just county wide) that law, or one based on it, is very much in effect. No more than 10 rounds in any barrel. If you purchase a new ar15 or mini 14 no folding stocks, high cap mags, threaded barrels or flash suppressor. They even sell AR15's with stocks the look like the tactical fold-in stock but they don't function at all. They aren't even locked in place, there simply is no slide, the release mech is just a plastic cut out. Liberals suck lol
Old January 20, 2010, 08:31 AM   #3
jmr40

The receiver is the gun. By replacing the receiver you are in fact replacing the entire gun as far as the law is concerned.
Old January 20, 2010, 08:54 AM   #4
DMK

Quote:
putting a new engine in a 1969 camaro doesn't make it a 2010 camaro
Changing the body (where the VIN # is) does, especially in a uni-body car (a car where the body is the frame). If I took all the guts out of a 1991 car and put them in the stripped frame/body of a 1998 car, I have to go by 1998 rules (OBDII emmissions, etc)

The Receiver of a gun is like the uni-body of a car. Barrel, stock, handguards, trigger, etc are all just accessories on that frame.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:57 PM   #5
Celo456

thanks for the info

i appreciate it
Old January 23, 2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Celo456

question

let me ask this, how long will the recevier be expected to last. or to put it like this, how many rounds can it be expected to fire. i know with proper maintenance and cleaning i can expect 4000-6000 rounds out of a mini 14 barrel. what about the recevier and action?
Old January 24, 2010, 11:31 AM   #7
DMK

Quote:
let me ask this, how long will the receiver be expected to last. or to put it like this, how many rounds can it be expected to fire. i know with proper maintenance and cleaning i can expect 4000-6000 rounds out of a mini 14 barrel. what about the receiver and action?
That depends on the type of rifle and what caliber it is. Most likely a very long time. You can often change out other parts such as barrels bolts, locking shoulders, etc to repair any normal wear the rifle receives.

For example, in the case of the Enfield, there are different bolt head sizes to accommodate wear and headspace the rifle correctly. In the case of the FAL, you can change the bolt and locking shoulder. In the case of the AR15, while it has an aluminum receiver, the steel locking lugs are part of the barrel assembly. Changing the barrel and bolt together (a relatively simple job) will correct any headspace issues. The biggest wear problem for the AR15 will be the holes for the trigger parts wallowing out.
Old January 24, 2010, 10:37 PM   #8
Celo456

Type of rifle and caliber

It is a Sturm Ruger mini 14 chambered in .223 (5.56 mm)
it's been maintained well and kept clean but it was made in 1976. That's what actually brought this up. Instead of the year being dated on the reciever it reads made in the 200th year of American Liberty. But just te same it's pretty much new old stock, it has never seen much use and until recently saw almost none. I have lots of plans for this rifle. I was going to purchase an ar10 along with an ak-74u carbine, but almost out of nowhere my attachment to this mini has overshadowed all my other interests as far as rifles go. Since it's gramdfathered in by it's age the options for modifications are endless. I'm just trying to be as sure as possible it's worth the $$
Old January 25, 2010, 01:35 PM   #9
DMK

Keep your locking lugs lubed well, shoot the proper ammo in it and clean, then relube it after every range session. It will out last you, even if you do need to rebarrel it down the road sometime..

Tags
disqualify , law , pre-ban , receiver , rifle