The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2006, 01:24 PM   #1
cuate

Resizing dies that seem inadequate

Am speaking of resizing and reloading .223 Remington ammo. Dies used were Lee collet neck dies, then Lee full length resizing dies. Both of which do not resize brass that will chamber in either my Ruger .223 Ranch Rifle or Bushmaster M4A3 (XM-15). Most cartridges thus resized with the full length Lee die will chamber in my Ruger M77, MkII but with a little pressure upon the bolt in closing.

A friend loaned/gave me a set of RCBS SB (small base) die set which seems to cure the problem but my question is, my Lee dies are great and I love them but why does the full resize die not resize so that I may use this ammo in the above mentioned tighter chamber rifles ?
Old December 22, 2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Scorch

Sounds like the brass you are reloading (possibly once fired???) was fired in a chamber that was longer than your gun's chamber. You need to adjust the dies to move the shoulder back a few thousandths of an inch. Be careful you don't buckle the case shoulder while doing this.

Collet dies will not move the shoulder back, so set them aside for this operation.

Try adjusting the die to move the shoulder back a little bit at a time in the full-length die until the round chambers with just a little "feel" to the bolt handle. You should not have to force the bolt handle down on a resized case.
Old December 22, 2006, 02:00 PM   #3
VaFisher

small base

The small base dies are made for this problem. Not sure why the FLD arn't made to work but seems like years ago they worked and the new one's made now don't.
Old December 22, 2006, 04:20 PM   #4
amamnn

Small base dies are made for use in reloading ammo for chambers in custom guns reamed to less than SAAMI standards. This is certainly not true of an off the shelf Ruger or Bushmaster, though cases formed, or underformed, using a SB die will chamber.

Remember that Lee gives you a starting point for setting up the die in their instructions. You may need to screw the die in a bit more than you have it at present. Also, proper lube for the body and the neck is required. Neck sizing will only be effective if done on a case that you have already FL sized and then fired in your bolt or single shot rifle. Cases shot from other rifles will not be the same dimensions as yours. Neck sizing is NOT an option for auto loading rifles.
Old December 22, 2006, 06:13 PM   #5
Wiley

Don't forget to check case length.
Old December 22, 2006, 06:55 PM   #6
Ausserordeutlich

Hopefully, you're not loading on a Loadmaster!
Old December 22, 2006, 07:17 PM   #7
cuate

Thanks !

No not loading on loadmaster, Have a 6 hole Lyman turret press out in the barn but incliment weather has me in the house at my desk with a Lee Hand Press is slow but works fine. Even have an old Ideal 310 too and .223 dies but
thats sort a hobby collection, it will load for single shot and bolt action, however.

I certainly appreciate everyone's input and found it informative and useful. I shot about ten rounds of .223 that I had pulled the bullets, resized with the small base dies and then reloaded, they functioned satisfactorily in the AR15.

Thank You again !
Old December 22, 2006, 09:32 PM   #8
mrawesome22

You don't have the die adjusted properly and a neck die can only be used with fireformed brass from the rifle it will be shot in. Have your FL die touch the shellholder then 1/4 turn more. I guarantee these will chamber in every .223Rem ever made. Headspace will be horrible, but they will chamber. And please don't say something is inadequate unless your sure of the problem. The Lee FL dies have the exact same dimensions as any other die so this problem would arise with any die.