The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 10, 2007, 11:17 PM   #1
Onaway417

Steel or Brass

Hi. This is my first post here. I have been reading for a few weeks since I have recently become interested in BP revolvers.
I want to get a revolver preferably in .36 cal. (but, .44 would be ok too.)
I have seen both the brass and steel and have heard that steel is the way to go, and have heard that brass is ok.
Realistically, I will be shooting four or five times a year, and I want to keep the cost down, but I don't want to get a peice of junk either.
Old July 11, 2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Old Dragoon

Spend the extra few bucks and get a steel framed pistol. I would bet that the 4 or 5 times a year will increase exponentially after you shoot it the first time...

Then if you happen to want to get a cartridge conversion cylinder for it you can. Conversion cylinders and brass frames are a no no.
Old July 11, 2007, 04:24 PM   #3
Onaway417

Thanks, Old Dragoon.
As for conversion cylinders, do they have to be purchased via an FFL holder? I'm pretty sure that a converted pistol has to be purchased that way when a BP doesn't.
Old July 11, 2007, 10:10 PM   #4
Old Dragoon

You are correct on a CONVERTED pistol, but the conversion cylinders are classified as Gun Accessories and can be mailed to you with no FFL needed.

HOWEVER, If you by a gated conversion cylinder and If you port the frame so you can load or unload with out dropping the cylinder out, it is your gun for life because you have"manufactured a firearm" which you are allowed to do for yourself, but no one else.

That's why I'd buy the Drop-in type from R &D or Kirst that way you can shoot C & B or conversion at your whim.

I have an R & D in 44 Rem/Colt(heeled bullet) conversion cylinder in an original 58 Remy. To my amazement it dropped right in and aligned and works like it was made for the gun 145 years ago...

The Conversions are fun but so is the C & B.
Old July 11, 2007, 10:12 PM   #5
Onaway417

Excellent info. I appreciate it.
What part of CA are you from? I am a Californian too.
Old July 15, 2007, 02:11 PM   #6
militantamish

steel remington

i'd recommend the steel-framed remington 44, simply because with the backstrap its an extremely solid weapon. as far as conversion cylinders go, i wouldnt know, but i have plenty of fun plinkin' with good old patched roundballs, i even have deerhunted with it once(yes it worked)
Old July 17, 2007, 02:31 PM   #7
mykeal

A word for brass...

Brass is just fine AS LONG AS you don't abuse the gun by routinely and frequently firing "heavy" loads, defined (by me) as 30 gr or more. AND the advice regarding conversion cylinders is correct - not for use with a brass frame.

The choice for steel or brass is a personal one based on what you like to look at, with consideration for how you will be shooting ("heavy" vs "light" loads) it and whether you intend to go to cartridges.

I like the way brass framed guns look. But I bought steel framed guns.
Old July 17, 2007, 07:08 PM   #8
BigBang

Steel is definately the only way to go for a shooter. Price difference is negligible. The only reason they were ever made out of brass (an inferior material) originally is because they didn't have enough steel at the time. The gun was never designed to be made out of brass. The only reason to buy one today is for a decoration.