The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 1, 2005, 07:54 PM   #26
Hollywood D

It will shatter the entire window but might not actually break all of the glass out. The windshield, it will just make a whole and crack some of it or may richochet off.

When I break glass at an accident scene the entire window shatters, whether I break it with a special glass breaking tool or hit it with a tool but the glass does not just fall out completely.
Old November 2, 2005, 09:48 AM   #27
mfree

Windshields and other windows have been structural members of european cars since the early 70's and structural parts of american vehicles since the mid 80's. Ford pioneered the use here, as well as structural roof and A-pillar structures. Ever look at a Fox platform ford (tbirds, stangs, the small LTD, fairmont) and wonder why the A-pillars are so thick and the roof heavy looking?

The previous post about stressed tempered windows popping is 100% right on the money... on older, more flexible cars, particularly those with frames, it's imperative to have a body shop check the frame alignment after even a minor accident, because if the body flexes beyond the limits of the window moulding, *pop*. One crack will do it.... temperature difference can do it too. Next frigid morning you have, if you have a junked car (a "target" car), go pour some boiling water on the back window. It's impressive

I drank the cool-aid.
Coal Creek Armory
Old November 3, 2005, 08:10 PM   #28
Hollywood D

yes, your windshield is actually one of the main supports for the roof in a rollover accident. Always makes me scared when I see people replacing windshields, whether or not they are doing it right.
Old November 5, 2005, 04:20 AM   #29
SJRTX

Movies always use fake glass for breaking. Its the same glass they use for hitting people with beer bottles etc. Modern glass is tempered, so it shatters into small square pieces. In the movies it always turns into shards of glass. That USED to be the way it was, long ago. And as far as windshields go, there is actually a film in the middle of the glass with adhesive that holds it together. So NO a windshield would not shatter into pieces unless you blew it up with a bomb or something. Side glass, and a lot of rear windows will, but only in tiny square pieces.
Old November 5, 2005, 04:31 AM   #30
AndrewTB

I recall hearing that older cars glass whould shatter when hit with a round. Newer cars have a new type of glass. For example back then you have no belt on and your go right through the windshield. Most likley down youll go into glass but it will mostly stay together. Forgot what its called so someont fill me in.

Im guessing Tempered.
Old November 5, 2005, 04:37 AM   #31
SJRTX

Yes, its called tempered. See the post above yours
Old November 11, 2005, 01:10 AM   #32
MrGee

just read the post but have not read all the threads i'll get to them but its late .... just wanted to make a comment .. i had a 59 Chevy back a ways
an some how my Son got playing around w/ a Plainsman BB gun pistol an hit the rear windshield, an right before my eye it just fell into little bitsy piece ... i mean the whole window just fell into small ice cubes if i wasn't there to see it i would have been hard to make me believe thats what happen'd... so i guess a .38 could easily do it .
Ps/ don't ask watt happen'd after the shock was over... LOl's
Old November 11, 2005, 01:42 AM   #33
BigFunWMU

Around here last summer, a bunch of idiot kids were driving around and shooting the rear windows of parked cars with a pellet gun. Even that little gun had enough oomph to shatter the whole thing like nothing.

Later they (or someone else) would come through and steal everything they could get out of the car.

A windshield, however, has that nifty polymer stuff in the middle. It will spiderweb and get holes, but not fail completely. If you have the chance, go to a junk yard or wrecking yard and see if they will let you take a whack at a windshield before they recycle the car. Its a lot of fun, and rather educational.

also all the glass in modern vehicle windows is tempered, windshield, windows, rear window, moon roof, etc... windshield just has 2 layers with some polymer stuff in the middle
Old November 11, 2005, 04:49 AM   #34
AndrewTB

Dant it SJRTX. If it didnt take me 11 minutes to type that I would have beat you! So unfair.
Old November 11, 2005, 09:59 PM   #35
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
If it didnt take me 11 minutes to type that I would have beat you!
Actually, I doubt you can blame your typing--you missed beating him by 8,651 minutes.
Old November 12, 2005, 09:40 AM   #36
legacy94

(Around here last summer, a bunch of idiot kids were driving around and shooting the rear windows of parked cars with a pellet gun. Even that little gun had enough oomph to shatter the whole thing like nothing.)--BigFunWMU

i had that happen around my area too,it was my back side window(station wagon) if it wasn't for the window tint,the whole cargo area would have been covered in glass.they were also bad shots,it tokk them two shots to hit the window.first one hit the back door.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Part 1 Article 2-A Bearing Arms.
All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property, and the state.