The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2010, 11:14 PM   #1
miamibb

Newbie Question - Bullet for 25-06?

First off, I'd like to say thanks to all the posters with info in presses and reloading. I've been wanting to get into reloading for more than 20 years (really) and because of all of your info I made the plunge and bought a press and a few dies. THANK YOU very much! Your info really helped me.

I really have 2 questions; first the 25-06 question.

I have a bolt action 25-06 built on a military Mauser 98 action. Years ago I used it on a couple of deer. The 1st one I shot was a shoulder shot using Remington core locked 120 gr psp ammo - factory stuff. The high speed and light weight seemed to produce a "splash" wound rather than a decent penetration. The 2nd deer I shot with it, the bullet came apart.

Any recommendations for a bullet for a 1 in 10 twist barrel that will penetrate deeply and not come apart at 3000+fps?

Thanks in advance.

2nd question:
Any advice on where to buy powder and bullets at a reasonable price online? I live in Miami and can't find anyone who stocks powder locally. Bullets are pretty hard to find here too... too many bikinis I guess...

Thanks!
Old August 6, 2010, 11:53 PM   #2
farmerboy

have not a clue on the first. Never loaded or shot a 25-06, i shoot 30- 06 and load Hornadys SST's. love them and i'd think they made them for 25-06 but never had any reason to look.
second answer on the bullets, I find MidwayUSA to be just as good a place as any to buy bullets online from.(thats where i get almost all of mine) but i buy powder at a local (small) privately owned sporting goods because hazmat on powder through the mail is pretty pricey unless you buy alot of it besides youd be helping out a business locally and sometimes you help someone out and who knows, alot of times "what goes around comes around" is what i believe. Hope this helps!

Last edited by farmerboy; August 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old August 7, 2010, 12:15 AM   #3
kraigwy

I dont load for the 25-06 but my 257 Roberts loves the Hornady 120 SST for dear,
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 7, 2010, 12:22 AM   #4
farmerboy

You may also want to check out Sierras GameKings for it as well. They are also very accurate but even so, ever since I used SST's. I was hooked. Also very accurate, thats what my main purpose is and second they are devastating on impact. Used them straight for last prob. 8 years on hogs and deer and am sold on them. Probably shot around 40-50 animals combined anywhere from 50 to 350 yards and if i do my part they sure do theirs.
Old August 7, 2010, 02:01 AM   #5
PACKIN' PLASTIC

If you don't mind a little drive you can get powder and primers at the gunshow in west palm next weekend. Online is cheaper but you are looking at a minimum of about $40 in shipping and hazmat.

For bullets try wideners or midsouth.

If both the deer died it sounds like the remington bullets are working ok

PP