The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 3, 2001, 10:47 PM   #1
Joe Portale

Took out the Mrs. AR the other day after she started complaining that it would shot where she pointed it and therefore something is wrong with the gun. My "Yes, dear" it couldn't be you. As all married men know, the wife does nothing wrong. Well, much to my surprise, the darn thing is hitting 2" low and 2" left at 25 yards. I ran the front sight up a whole bunch and was only able to get the elevation up about half and inch. The windage adjustment was moved right about half of its travel.

This concerns me because this rifle is...was a tack driver straight out of the Bushmaster box. I checked all the normal things, the pins are tight, the barrel is tight and retorqued. Everything seems to be in parallel and or square.

I don't know if this thing ever hit the ground on the front sight ramp. But the sight looks like it is perpendicular to the barrel, the post is straight. I'm at a complete loss on this. Any ideas?

Oh, we are using PMC ammo. I am having a hard time believing that this could be the problem. I made up some 223 handloads today and will see where they go.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old June 4, 2001, 10:26 PM   #2
WalterGAII

Joe: Some guy over on "The Art of the Rifle" forum was having the same problem. Check out his thread over there and see what he found out!
Old June 7, 2001, 12:09 AM   #3
addecus

try lowerin the post
Old June 11, 2001, 07:26 PM   #4
po boy

HAVE YOU CHECKED THE TRIGGER ACTIVATION NUT!! could be the problem lots of that going around now..
Old June 11, 2001, 08:50 PM   #5
Joe Portale

Well, for those who are interested, the mystery of the bad shooting AR was resolved today. What did I do? Dunno really. I screwed up on the direction of turning the front post, but this thing still shot terrible. The trigger activation nut is working fine. PAH-LEEEZ!

Over the weekend the front and rear sights were completely disassembled, inspected and reassembled. Guess what? Went to the range today and after a 12 round 50 yard sight in. The rifle put 60 rounds through a 1.5 inch hole dead center on the 10 ring at 100 yards. You could say that I fixed it. It would be nice to know what I did.

Thanks for the comments....trigger activation nut...good grief...

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul