The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1
FlySubCompact

Lyman T-mag II turret..die holder change

New reloader....can't afford one of those nice Dillon progressive stations and I don't want a single stage either. Also been studying the Lee Load Master progressive, but I've read it is quirky.

One I've been looking at is the Lyman T-mag II press. It is a turret type. I intend to start with 9mm, but later intend to handload .40sw. I like the idea of having a turret head for changing calibers. One turret plate with it's dies for one caliber, one for another.

What I'd like to know is is turret plate change out easy on this press? Also, if I change one, load those shells, then go back to the first plate will there be a bunch of tinkering involved?

Also, is it a strong press? May decide to handload a rifle caliber later on.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:05 AM   #2
jmorris

I wouldn't suggest Lee's progressives but their turret presses work OK. On the Lee turret they interlock with the top of the press so you drop them in and turn them to line up the die you want to use with the shell holder/ram.

The Lyman turret holds 6 dies and uses a ring that holds onto two retainers with an internal O-ring. Not as fast as the Lee but tool free, still only takes seconds and a much better feeling press.

As long as the dies are locked down and you don't change your load no adjustment will be needed on either press when you swap.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You should look into the Lee Classic turret. You can load up to 200 rounds an hour. It's auto-indexing (the only such turret press). Plenty good enough for any normal rifle loading.
Old July 7, 2012, 01:35 PM   #4
FlySubCompact

Jmorris,

Thanks that I wanted to know.

Brian,

I will look at the YT videos on that press. Sounds interesting.
Old July 7, 2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Shootest

I own a Lyman T-Mag II and I will tell you this.
1) The turret changes super easy, 1 bolt, and it will require no monkeying around with the dies after changing. But turrets are not cheap.
2) The priming arm and feed just plain sucks. I had to file on it to get it to work at all. It still sucks, drops primers, primers hang up, and so on. Lyman should be ashamed if it.
3) It is plenty strong enough for rifle reloading. (see #4)
4) You have to be careful not to push it to hard against the travel stop on the ram. In other words do not lean on the arm on the up stroke. The one week point.
5) It has 6 die stations. It cost less than Reading. The big reasons I chose it.
Old July 8, 2012, 06:05 AM   #6
moonscape

You might find this of interest. Lee vs Lyman t-mag II

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=666249
Old July 8, 2012, 09:08 AM   #7
jmorris

My Lyman is the older orange one. It has the knurled ring that slides off the keepers to hold the tool head down, didn't know they changed to a bolt. It also has the same style flip out primer arm that the Lee uses, although I hand prime with an RCBS or Lee. IIRC an extra turret was $20.

Depending on what your loading for you can have dies set up for 3 different calibers all on the same turret.

Old July 8, 2012, 10:19 AM   #8
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I've had a Lyman T-Mag for about 20 years . I load everything from .223 to 30-378 on it . They're plenty strong and durable . If I had a dime in my pocket for every round I've loaded on it , there's no way I could keep my pants up ! I have never primed on it , so can't comment on it's performance in that area . Having said that , there are very few avid reloaders that prime on their press . Handheld units are inexpensive and way more efficient . I prime on a seperate press with an Auto-Prime II , which I think is the slickest rig going . Of course if you're a couch potato , priming in front of the TV isn't an option with it .
Old July 8, 2012, 10:48 AM   #9
GP100man

I`ve used a bunch of different presses to do various things & I settled on the Lyman Oronge Crusher & the Turret to do the main stay of my reloading .

Here1s a pic of a table with RCBS`s 2 hole Rock Chuckers to compare it to .

I also primer off press , Hornady hand primer for small & Lee auto prime II for large.

Old July 8, 2012, 04:06 PM   #10
wncchester

All presses work fine if used correctly. But ... I started with a conventional turret press (Spar-T) and found no time advantage with it. I eventually locked the turret head down to reduce springing and used it as a funny looking "C" press with die storage for years until I finally got a good "O" single stage. The old press is used ONLY for handgun ammo and some specialty work now but I've never considered buying extra heads for it, they're much too costly for my modest needs.

Lee's turret press design IS a faster working device because the turret auto-indexes with each stroke of the lever. The press is a funny looking "O" design and that's good. Preloaded Lee heads can be swapped around in seconds - by hand, no tools needed. And they are inexpensive enough to actually make buying seperate ones practical for each caliber you load.