The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 5, 2012, 09:21 AM   #51
Spats McGee
Staff

Oddly, I ran a Google shopping search for "Ruger LCR" yesterday from my home computer, and pistols popped up. So it apparently makes a difference which computer I'm using for the search, or the location, or something. I dunno. All this web stuff can be pretty PFM (Pretty Freakin' Magical = not well understood) for me.

Naturally, this happened when I was trying to demonstrate to Mrs. McGee why I'm not using Google any more, in an apparently vain attempt to show her that my tinfoil hat really isn't on too tight . . . .

Last edited by Spats McGee; July 5, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:07 AM   #52
gunloony

@ Spats McGee - have you tried clearing your cache on your home computer? Your browser might be working on old data.

FWIW
Old July 5, 2012, 01:38 PM   #53
Spats McGee
Staff

@ gunloony -- No, I have not. I take this as evidence of its PFM status for me. I will also try clearing that out. Thanks.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:20 AM   #54
Rifleman1776

Where does this nonsense come from?
Some people seem to just want to create hate.
I went to Google Shopping and entered several firearms related searches. All brought up guns and accessories for sale.
Bad thing is rumors like this spread like wildfire.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:25 AM   #55
ScottRiqui

It wasn't just a rumor - I found the same thing. When I typed in "12 gauge" into Google Shopping, I got no results at all. But when I typed in "16 gauge", I got everything I expected - nails, cookware, speaker wire, etcetera.

In fact, Google Shopping *still* isn't pulling up any gun-related results for me. I may need to restart my browser and/or empty its cache.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:57 AM   #56
Luger_carbine

Clearing your cache won't affect it positively, if you have cached results you might be getting the old pre-ban results/pages. If you did get some results, I expect that after you clear your cache and try the search again, you will get no results.

Google filters what results are returned.

The Google filters aren't perfect, but they're good enough to effectively ruin it's usefullness as a shopping tool for ammunition, firearms and accessories.

Bing still works, and Google is opening the market up both for people to start using Bing more and for someone to create a firearms / hunting / shoooting sports search site that will return those results.
Old July 6, 2012, 09:06 AM   #57
TITAN308

Reports are certainly pointing out its very sporadic.
Old July 6, 2012, 09:32 AM   #58
Luger_carbine

Shopping for a Springfield 1911

Google:

Bing:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA Google.JPG (40.1 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg SA BING.JPG (41.0 KB, 150 views)
Old July 7, 2012, 07:48 PM   #59
PT-92

If anyone can recommend a viable and legitimate alternative to the once "beloved" Google gun-search-shopping-comparison instrument, please advise. If, in fact, one does not exist, the individual or people who can create a similarly effective algorithm will become very "wealthy" (unless of course they choose to open-source it for the benefit and honor of the Second Amendment ).

-Cheers
Old July 7, 2012, 08:36 PM   #60
Spats McGee
Staff

Bing appears to still list firearms and related items in its shopping tab.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:45 PM   #61
PT-92

Spats McGee,

Thanks for that--I've never really been a Microsoft guy but I will give this a shot (currently experiencing google-gun-shop-search withdrawal that's worse than drugs ).

-Cheers
Old July 7, 2012, 11:49 PM   #62
raimius

I normally hate Bing...but this might be an exception.
No more Google Shopping for me. (Make sure to tell them why, if you do the same.)
Old July 8, 2012, 06:01 AM   #63
PT-92

Quote:
raimius

I normally hate Bing...but this might be an exception.
No more Google Shopping for me. (Make sure to tell them why, if you do the same.)
Absolutely--If the anti-Constitution business' do not receive critical feedback concerning why customers are ceasing to use their respective products, they will never truly 'appreciate' the adverse ramifications of their warped policies.

Last week I informed my Sprint Rep why I would not be renewing my Google Android contract come Labor Day when it expires--It will be quite painful and I am researching my alternatives as we speak (it will be tough as they are all leftist companies at the very core including Apple which is the logical alternative to Android). Not to veer OT (it's very related in the sense that boycotts of anti-2A companies is definitely firearms related) but I am considering a nice 'no-contract' wireless tablet in conjunction with a basic cell phone...

-Cheers
Old July 8, 2012, 10:27 AM   #64
johnwilliamson062

Just like walmart removing guns a decade and a half ago, this has more to do with legal trouble than with being anti-gun.
Firearms are highly regulated.
anti-gun groups are always trying to saddle someone with liability to bankrupt them.
If you are running a broad business it isn't worth the firearms liability.
Old July 8, 2012, 03:40 PM   #65
boostedtt91

I think its a outrage that they are banning all firearm related sales through there shopping page. Another company jumping on the anti gun band wagon
Old July 8, 2012, 03:51 PM   #66
PT-92

Quote:
johnwilliamson062

Just like walmart removing guns a decade and a half ago...
Not categorical--rural Walmart's are stocked up like Cabela's whereas @ urban Walmart's you're lucky to find a 'fish-hook.'

-Cheers
Old July 8, 2012, 03:53 PM   #67
boostedtt91

Every walmart around here has guns and just starting stock ar15's
Old July 8, 2012, 04:04 PM   #68
PT-92

boostedtt91,

forgive me as I am too ****** to use google and too lazy to actually perform a search, but is Danville PA a rural area? Just curious as in Urban MO. an AR @ walmart would be cause for a SWAT Team mobilization.

-Cheers
Old July 8, 2012, 05:08 PM   #69
boostedtt91

its not near any major city or anything. Pretty much all walmarts within a 30 mile radius sell them as far as i am aware. Danville is about a hour north of harrisburg
Old July 8, 2012, 05:11 PM   #70
ScottRiqui

When it comes to gun stuff, our local Wal-Mart (Norfolk, Virginia) only has ammo. No guns of any type, no targets, no cleaning supplies. There are some cheap scopes and I think they have ear/eye protection, but that's it.
Old July 8, 2012, 06:11 PM   #71
Glenn E. Meyer

Wal-Mart's decision seems to be based on the economics of stocking the local area. Some of the ones near me only have ammo. The other that I visited today had a rack with about 5 different ARs and quite a few defensive shotguns.

So unless you can come up with documentation, drop the liberal conspiracies.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:20 PM   #72
Tom Servo
Staff

There are several WalMart locations near me. One is in an urban area, and they don't stock firearms or handgun ammunition. Another is in a fairly rural area and stocks quite a bit.

I don't think it's a matter of caving in to anything politically; it's just a business decision. Not everything is a grand conspiracy.
Old July 9, 2012, 07:48 PM   #73
Justice06RR

Quote:
forgive me as I am too ****** to use google and too lazy to actually perform a search, but is Danville PA a rural area? Just curious as in Urban MO. an AR @ walmart would be cause for a SWAT Team mobilization.
why would an AR at Walmart cause a SWAT Team mobilization?

An AR15 is not an illegal rifle, and Walmart is a licensed FFL I'm sure. Unless state laws vary wherever you are.

In my local SuperWalmart I have seen Bushmaster's, Sig's, DPMS, and a few other AR brands. and I live in a rather populated city in Central FL.
Old July 9, 2012, 07:53 PM   #74
PT-92

Justice06RR,

Uhhh...If I have to explain it then....

-Cheers
Old July 9, 2012, 08:54 PM   #75
rickyrick

It's not a rumor. I tried it. No shopping results for all the types of guns I could quickly think of. But you Change One number and you get tons of stuff.

As for Walmart not having guns, the Walmart super computer decides what each store stocks based on the likelihood of sales or other reasons.

If you haven't seen guns at Walmart, you really need to get out more lol