The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 4, 2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Scott5

Gun mags on an airplane

Hello all,
Have any of you taken gun magazine on and internation flight recently?

I know this has been asked before but with the rule changes I was wantering if anybody has been hasseled about it.

The reason I'm asking is I'm flying through LAX, to New York, to Frankfurt.
I want to take the gun mags to pass the time, and if I get bored with the other books i'm taking.

Happy shooting
Scott5
Old July 4, 2008, 05:11 PM   #2
B. Lahey

In the 90s I was searched by a bunch of ninjas with machine guns in an Italian airport because I was reading a gun magazine. I thought it was funny and it gave me a chance to see a lot of euro hardware.

The one guy thought my mini-maglite was some sort of weapon, he spent about 10min carefully taking it apart and inspecting the components while giving me the fisheye.

It may be less entertaining now, they have probably moved from to bag-tossing to cavity searches since then.
Old July 4, 2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Wildalaska

I have and no one pays attention. In fact on the my last flight I wore an Eotech T shirt replete with pics of nomexninjas and M16s...

WildithinkitwouldbedifferentifyouhadabombmakingbookAlaska TM
Old July 4, 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
BurkGlocker

I think you should be okay as long as youre not reading 'World Terrorist Weekly'. My last flight I took gun mags on the flight from NYC to DFW and this was during the post 9-11 time frame. Even got into a conversation with the guys next to me about what guns and rifles. I think as long as youre not wearing a turban, and not meaning it racially, you should be okay.
Old July 4, 2008, 05:19 PM   #5
hoytinak

A good friend of mine that was from CA and stationed in NC with us was going home on leave and forgot a couple a 30rnd AR mags and a couple 30rnd AK mags in his bag. No one said anything on his flight from NC to CA but on the way back was a different story. Once the bag went through the X-ray machine (in Bakersfield) they pulled him aside, opened his bag, pulled the mags out and about arrested him on the spot. He ended up missing that flight, talked his way out of being arrested (had to get back on duty to deployed within 24hrs), but they did confiscate the mags. We all got a good laugh at him about it.
Old July 4, 2008, 06:09 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Magazines like for reading? Yes they're fine.

Magazine for ammo not so much.
Old July 4, 2008, 06:17 PM   #7
ChicagoTex

Nevermind.
Old July 4, 2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Don Lu

Quote:
I think as long as youre not wearing a turban, and not meaning it racially
how DID you mean it then ?
Old July 4, 2008, 08:31 PM   #9
wjkuleck

Quote:
how DID you mean it then
Why, culturally, I suppose...

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old July 4, 2008, 09:15 PM   #10
Scott5

Hello all,
Thanks for the replys everone, and since we will spend over ten hours in the air I need lots of reading material. (gunzines)

Happy shooting
Scott5
Old July 5, 2008, 03:40 AM   #11
jfrey123

I did it flying back from Texas to Nevada... Actually had 2 different ones and put them on top of the stack of 4 total magazines just to see if anyone would react.

No one. Not even the guy in the seat next to me. I was actually a bit disappointed, but ended up realizing it's a nicer sign of the times that no one even rolled an eye...
Old July 5, 2008, 07:23 AM   #12
apr1775

Don't take magazines, take books. It's a very long flight and you'll finish magazines too quickly. Besides books about gun related subjects would have more of that academic look to it. I think their attitude about private firearms is total BS but I wouldn't want to ruin my trip over it either. Save the magazines for domestic flights.
Old July 6, 2008, 01:05 AM   #13
Bart Noir

hoytinak, he was arrested for rifle magaizines that did not contain cartridges???

That don't seem right. What were the charges? Making TSA work for a living? Taking on board something that was related to a firearm but is harmless by itself? I haven't heard of a statute saying either is illegal. The "don't do it" poster shows real guns after all.

Bart Noir
Old July 6, 2008, 01:39 AM   #14
hoytinak

Quote:
hoytinak, he was arrested for rifle magaizines that did not contain cartridges???

That don't seem right. What were the charges? Making TSA work for a living? Taking on board something that was related to a firearm but is harmless by itself? I haven't heard of a statute saying either is illegal. The "don't do it" poster shows real guns after all.

Bart Noir
He talked his way out of being arrested, they just confiscated the mags....I guess just having 30 round mags in CA is illegal.